MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> audiosport Quattro on os X?, driver available, but ...
post Tue 7 May 2002, 12:59
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

hi

i just installed the driver for the M-Audio Quattro USB audio interface. I know this device is a piece of shit, but since I just switched to OS X I thought I'd give it a last try.

There is no documentation whatsoever with the driver (which is in beta) and I can't find anything on the web.

Does anyone have a clue?

thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
uk
post Mon 13 May 2002, 17:15
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,619

Hi,

I cannot confirm the problems others have with the Audio Quattro interface, to my opinion it is anything but 'a piece of shit'.
The device, which I bought in april, works quite fine with my equipment (PB 550, OS 10.1.4). OK, the drivers are beta and only sparsly documented, but the audio driver works and I didn't detected any distortion in the audio files I recorded so far so that I really don't miss further documentation. A small bug: apparently the configuration cannot be saved which is a bit burdensome.
The MIDI out part is ok but, however, I was not able to record MIDI in until now (it worked with OS 9). May be it is a problem of my configuration. Has anyone faced the same problem ? Or even faced no problem at all ?

newenham, which kind of clue do you mean, clue for what ?

UK

+Quote Post
post Tue 14 May 2002, 07:51
Post #3

Group:

thanks for your input UK

the people from m-audio answered my questions regarding the quattro. apparently it will work a lot better on osX than on os9.

the trouble with MIDI doesn't bother me since I want to use the Quattro as an audio interface (and I guess MIDI + audio on the same machine is asking too much)

which software are you using it with?

+Quote Post
prutulz
post Wed 15 May 2002, 11:19
Post #4

Member No.: 183

'I guess MIDI + audio on the same machine is asking too much'

are you kidding?

even a $80 ppc7100 mac can play audio and midi together without troubles.

advice: just exchange your card with a seriously built one like thoses from digi, motu or emagic. You will get reliable hardware and UPDATED and WORKING drivers....

HTH

--------------------
Prutulz
RTFM... is usually not enough

+Quote Post
post Wed 15 May 2002, 12:57
Post #5

Group:

prutulz, i meant on the same usb interface, not the same mac

+Quote Post
prutulz
post Wed 15 May 2002, 13:07
Post #6

Member No.: 183

it should also work on the same usb bus. wink.gif
but only if the driver/hardware are good!

FYI, midi doesn't eat bandwith: it work perfectly on (old) serial buses which are really slower than USB

If you get into troubles only with MIDI, you should buy an inexpensive SteathPort ($50) and add a serial (reliable) midi interface like thoses from motu, emaic, midiman etc...
BTW, the small midiman USB interfaces work very well

HTH

--------------------
Prutulz
RTFM... is usually not enough

+Quote Post
post Fri 21 Jun 2002, 07:16
Post #7

Group:

I actually spoke to the folks at MidiMan and did a little moving around of files and I managed to get audio AND midi working. Here's how.

First of all, the driver they supply for the Audiosport Quattro is audio only. It also installs the preference pane in the wrong location... or at least it seemed to me that it wouldnt show up in preferences until i moved it from library:preferencepanes:quattro to system:library:preferencepanes:quattro.

The MIDI driver is available by looking for Midisport drivers. It is a driver for their whole USB MIDI series, including the Audiosport Quattro. It works like a charm.

They also told me that after installing, you must shut down the computer and let it sit and restart it for the Quattro to be recognized the first time (?)... all I know is it took a few restarts but after a while it showed up and started working.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 23 Jun 2002, 04:48
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

>They also told me that after installing, you must shut down the computer and let it sit and restart it for the Quattro to be recognized the first time

= It need a reinitialization of ports (on a powering up from an off state) to register the presence of it.

I wonder if these guy know 1/ how to tell an installer the right locations 2/ that users are'nt supposed to be nobel prize and browse all their site to install ONE of their product.

(rant rant rant) smile.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 23 Oct 2024, 01:31
- © MacMusic 1997-2008