MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Studio Setup, new to recording
iansklar
post Mon 19 Jan 2004, 00:04
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,429

Hi,

I was a singer/songwriter whos voice was injured and lost my home due to 9/11. I saved my disability checks to get and purchased some equipment. I just would appreciate some opinions and/or suggestions on if I need anything else and how to go forward. I haven't used anything yet because I have no computer monitor or place to set it up yet. But I may get subsidized housing soon.

Dual g5 1.5ram running panther
m-audio 1010 (audio card)
Microtech-gefell umt70s mic (similar to u87)
Summit Audio 2ba-221 mic pre (can also be used as direct box, I believe)
Logic Platinum (probably going to upgrade to the new Logic Pro)
Roland XV 5080 module
Mackie 1604 vlzpro mixer
pcr80 keyboard controller
microkorg
spark xl 2.7
samson 65a nearfield studio monitors
Acoustic guitar
fender squier
no computer monitor (i heard crt monitors create interference)

Thank You for your help,

Ian Sklar
java script:emoticon(':o')

huh.gif songwriternyc@yahoo.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 20 Jan 2004, 02:16
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Welcome smile.gif

Do you really need the Platinum version of Logic? Are you up to make some work on video, or use a Digidesign TDM system? If not, a lower version will be sufficient.

Also, given the level of mic/preamp you want to use, the M-Audio is a bit low end, as the Samson. Mic wise there are other possibilities but You must know your stuff on this wink.gif (and Gefell is GOOD)

How many in/out do you need? Have you cut corners due to the budget line?

You will need a screen. Check for the biggest FFT or CRT you can afford (screen estate is comfort well invested). Usually it's screens which are annoyed by other gear, not the reverse wink.gif

The Microkorg, for me screeeeches, and I don't like its vocoder. Now, it's practical if you want to travel with it as you can use it on batteries. the keyboard is very small, not a pleasure to play with. Now if you buy it 2nd hand, it's a little MS2000 with limitations inside. Did you planned it for its vocoder, as a portable mean or as a virtual analogue source? there are other possibilities.

The Mackie is praised. I don't like Mackie's EQ, but it's personal matter.

Now I move the thread to a relevant forum, there will be more inputs than my dotting babble laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 11 May 2024, 22:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008