MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Motu 2408 Mk3, anyone tried it?
eaks
post Wed 2 Feb 2005, 18:07
Post #1

Group: Validating
Member No.: 22,521

Hi, I'm about to purchase an audio card, probably the MotU 2408 mk3 for its versatility, and I want to have comments on it's usability by ppl who tested it. I will work with cubase sx3.

thanks

--------------------
you wish!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eaks
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 16:51
Post #2

Hi, I guess someone has work with the PCI-424 card provided with MotU sound gear... I want to know if theres some noises from inside the computer or if it works flawlessly. You'll understand the concerns in buying that or a firewire audio interface.

tx

--------------------
you wish!!!!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 18:44
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

It works like a charm. Have a look at RME products too, great stuff (if you understand their range and site… me I don't… which is annoying as their converters are good).

I've got myself to upgrade to the 424, so I can enjoy my own mk2. smile.gif
(Motu procedure is a bummer… I've got something else to do than prove I have register, it SUCKS)

424 wise, if you buy second hand, verify it's the 424 mk2!!! else you have to change it thru MOTU too. mk1 is not G5 compatible.

It's the mk1 which is to avoid save if you use only the digital ports, converters are not that good in A/D.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
eaks
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 21:01
Post #4

mmm, so if I understand, u say that MotU's A/D converters are not that good...

in fact, I want the 2408 mk3 because of the spdif ports, and the 8 analog i/o as well, thus leaving me a lot of digital i/o unused for now, but greatly usable as my studio expands...

Is there some high-end audio interfaces where I could find only these two kind of ports in a good proportion?

I've seen one, think it was STELLA or GINA or somethin like this, but I'm not sure I'm willing to trust many companies other than MotU for this specific task.

tx for the answer btw.

--------------------
you wish!!!!

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 21:42
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The A/D from MOTU are good, just not the ones of the 2408 mk1 which is the oldest and sound crap. RME are same level or better. Higher than that it's a low jitter question and it gets really expensive/pro option like Apogee and a few other specialized company.

One good point of the 2408 is you can easily add some good A/D racks with ADAT connectics to it if you need to upgrade.

If you feel unsure on MOTU, go RME! A little less expensive, and really great converters (on par or better than MOTU 2408 mk2/3) it's a shame I keep not understanding their product range angry.gif blink.gif huh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
toonsy
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 22:39
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 6,027

Hi! this is my first post on the english side !!!!
i've got a 2408 mkIII , and it's very great ! some trouble at first to install the driver , but now it works !!!
very versatile as you say , you can have this at a first time , with 8 great A/D ( be carreful on the rear , no neutrik jack , cause the femal jack are too much closer ) , and after you can add a 2 or 8 tracks A/D apogee for exemple , and your 2408 will accept it with adat !!! and you'll keep your pci 424 ( much better than the firewire ) wink.gif
the motu software console is very practical for latency problem ......

sorry for my english ........ tongue.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Quand la vie vous met des lumières rouges qui clignotent au dessus de votre tête, n'attendez pas qu'elle vous mette un mur dans la gueule pour réagir !

+Quote Post
Mark Tucker
post Thu 17 Feb 2005, 23:21
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,558

Hi. I know that the MOTU is a vey popular device, however during a blind test I carried out in a controled enviroment between many of the audio interfaces available, I found the MOTU unit performed badly on its A/D and D/A's. The best unit was a Prism which, unless you have pots of cash, is definately a great unit to aspire to. However in the cheaper price bracket, the best unit was the Metric Halo Mobile I/O. It's sound was great for the price and I have since used it round the world on location recording world ethnic groups on several occasions and have found it to be reliable and good sounding.

I highly recommend checking this unit out.

MT

+Quote Post
toonsy
post Fri 18 Feb 2005, 00:12
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 6,027

ok but the advantage for the motu is the versatibility , 24 in/out ( and more with other rack ) , pci , and then the sound ........ a Prism 8 track AD/DA in add !!!!!!
with the core audio and many soft , you can have only ONE audio card simultanely , and many user's ask us how to add more AD track with their 8 tracks firewire audio card ......
just ask what we need ......... wink.gif

--------------------
Quand la vie vous met des lumières rouges qui clignotent au dessus de votre tête, n'attendez pas qu'elle vous mette un mur dans la gueule pour réagir !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 16 Jun 2024, 22:58
- © MacMusic 1997-2008