MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where To Put What - Logic, Etc.
lepetitmartien
post Sun 10 Dec 2006, 05:53
Post #11

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Oops difficult one! rolleyes.gif

If your session you record are heavy (a lot of tracks playing/writing simultaneously) I guess the internal would be better (and a 7200 rpm one then…) if not, everyone should get along just fine from the external. Now, the solution is to try… blink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sun 10 Dec 2006, 07:07
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,373

Reason has a pretty good Browser & I've put all kinds of Refills in a Documents folder with nary a problem as most of that stuff is loaded into RAM for playback. I really can't say much about GB but the difference is usually whether you are just streaming 4 second loops or 24+ tracks of 1 to 5 minute audio. Ableton live also likes for you to run all of your loops on a separate hard drive because that is the way it will run audio (though you CAN specify loops to be run from RAM as well...your chance of errors during playback is increased). The same goes for other apps like Pro Tools where you really want a separate hard drive for your songs to stream from. I'm sorry I just got way ahead of myself. Basically put your Refills wherever you are comfortable with putting them. I like to keep mine separate just because I can differentiate easier between Reason's factory loops & someone else's. The advantage to putting your separate refills into the Reason Folder would probably be for less time that you or the program has to look for certain refills. Be careful of moving those refills around though because you will have to conduct another manual search if Reason can't find a certain refill when opening a song you have worked on.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
post Sun 10 Dec 2006, 17:22
Post #13

Member No.: 67,641

Hello --

I understand the confusion as well as the enigma. Here was my solution ( in fact, I still use this method ). I load all my samples onto my peripheral. Before I start a project, I will use a simple and relatively inexpensive program I have called audio finder. Here is the website URL: http://www.icedaudio.com/

I will go through and select out all the loops i think are relative and groovy to my composition. Audio finder is also an editor, so I can change and/ or pitch-time shift and save as i want. I will then drop all of my selected files into my sequencer -- I use Pro Tools and Ableton Live 6. Drop 'em all in to my new track and save them as a project. That way all the samples I'm going to use are on my desktop and saved to my hard drive -- so my processor isn't constantly trying to access files from my other hard drive. I will then open a new project, and use this file as my source audio. It saves a TON on my CPU as well as keeps everything where I want it to be. I will save all files to this file - such as my analog and vocal recordings and synth recordings. When everything is finished, I will drop that folder and my sequencing master track folder onto my peripheral for backup, and save the space on my harddrive.

I hope that helps -- Its just a solution I've used with relative success when I had really limited RAM and CPU power -- My system is much better now, but this procedure still is how I will do things.

+Quote Post
rcross73
post Wed 13 Dec 2006, 17:07
Post #14

Rookie

Member No.: 73,128

Thanks, lepetitmartien, for the info about what to do if I have a pretty heavy playback load.

And thanks, Mortalengines, for the info about the Reason Refills all being loaded into RAM. I think it is likely the same for the GB software instruments, as they always took a minute to "load up" on my old iBook G4. This means that where I put all of these things (except perhaps for loops, which will stream - but which I almost never use anyway) just depends on where I feel I have hard-drive room. I'm mostly a heavily-sampled software instrument guy when it comes to the midi stuff, and I like to be able to use lots of effects on my live instrument playing ("real" instruments and midi ones that sound like they're real comprise most of what I do).

That said, thanks too to fishboisfo for the tips re:using loops. I'm sure it will all come in handy sooner than I think.

I have to say, you guys really have a good thing going here with these forums. Renews my faith in human nature. smile.gif

--------------------
2.33 GHz MBP C2D, 3GB RAM
120GB 5400rpm internal, 500GB 7200rpm eSATA external, 250GB 7200rpm FW800 external
Logic Studio, Reason 3, Reason Drum Kits 2, Reason Pianos, various refills, Line6 TonePort & GearBox Plug-Ins, Alesis i/O 26, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX, CSR, T-RackS, EZDrummer and various add-ons, Nomad Factory Studio Pro Bundle (Blue Tubes Bundle v3 & v2, Analog Signature Pack, BlueVerb DRV-2080, Essential Studio Suite, Liquid Bundle 2)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 20:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008