MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Revolutionary New Macs!, news
_News_
post Fri 30 Jul 2010, 16:21
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Revolutionary New Macs!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lepetitmartien
post Sun 1 Aug 2010, 10:37
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

To put things in other words, where are:
- USB 3
- eSATA
- more than 3 PCI ports
- sexy recent graphic cards (even if I don't buy the gaming extravaganza)
- SATA 6g
- Firewire 1600 (urgent)
- Firewire 3200 (urgent)
- Lightpeak (something _new_ for a change)

Plus, marketing at Apple has decided that the base of the Mac Pro (middle tower, 3 PCI) is fine for most professionals. When you move around and read, or if you're a pro, you know there need for 2 different kinds of expandable pro computer:
- a big tower, with lots of drives, and way more of 3 PCI, for audio, video.
- a small tower with few drives and 3 PCI at most for DTP.

It'll suit uses and needs way more (that's more earth friendly btw) and will make the audio/video pros happy, if Apple still wants to save what's still part of its pro domain. Plus, do the current range of Mac pro make people dream? No. Because there's nothing that sexy about them. You can't be sexy if nothing is new, not even talking about groundbreaking. There's not even included the standards that are becoming the de facto one in the win world! I'm a mac user/mac fan for more than 20 years, and right now, if I want to see a dream machine, I have to imagine my dream hackintosh! It's desperating and dispiriting.

Remember, Apple lost some pro markets years ago for the same reasons, like 3D, or a large part of video pros: not enough PCI slots, CPU for kiddies (ok it wasn't apple fault but…) lack of expansions, price… If, as a pro, you can have a production tool at a price you can have 2 of them for the price of one at Apple, and that you need 2 (usual situation in 3D modeling/rendering) what will you do if the software is working in both environments and stable?

I'm very happy Apple makes a lot of money with phones and pods and pads. I'm very happy with the finances of Apple being what they are. I'm finding the iPad very sexy and useful for some uses (but certainly not magic, step down from Disney, it's a tool, with a great GUI/user experience), but for creative pro, we're walking in the desert of sexyness. And technical sexyness is what makes the computer sell, and even more, be productive for years.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 7 Jul 2024, 04:58
- © 440 Forums 2011