MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> REASON AND Ti G4 CPU QUESTION????, REASON USES 40% CPU on DEMO Alone
filthdc
post Thu 9 May 2002, 15:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,582

I just recently acquired a G4 400mhz w/384 RAM. I have purchased a USB/MIDI Interface and installed Reason 1.0. When I run reason's demo, it uses about 40% of the CPU Power according to REASON's CPU MONITOR. I always ran a stress test by opening a bunch of demos to see how far I could go and after about 7 windows, it threw an error.

I bought this G4 thinking that it would run a lot cleaner and smoother than windows. Is there something I am not doing right or configuring correctly?

I am using this machine only for audio and nothing else. I have turned off just about everything I am not using in Extension Manager. The only thing I want to do is run AUDIO SOFTWARE/MIDI CONTROLLER/FIREWIRE SOUNDCARD/FIREWIRE HD/EXTERNAL CD BURNER. What is the best way to configure this Ti?

-Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 9 May 2002, 15:24
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

If you have desactivated Quicktime, activate it right now!

I can assure you it'll solve your pb, but MacOS like it like that smile.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
filthdc
post Thu 9 May 2002, 19:19
Post #3

I doubt I disactiviated Quicktime. How would that effect the program using up the CPU?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 9 May 2002, 20:03
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Just that users reported better performances of the system and stability when quicktime is on.

Else if it's on and you're not using it it's use of CPU must be peanuts.

in my last post you should read 'I can'T assure' wink.gif

For the Reason part of the pb I don't use it so can't be of any help if it's Reason related, But friends of mine using it on G4 never reported troubles to me…
Also have you made the memory partition of reason bigger ? Maybe it'll help.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mr.T
post Sat 11 May 2002, 10:17
Post #5

SuperHero

Member No.: 2,244

Sorry I don't have an immediate solution to your problem, but here's what I can tell you: First of all:
-You're mentionning the demo... Is it the demo coming with the installation CD or the demo you've just downloaded from the web (for a 15 days or so trial). If it's the lattest, I'm pretty sure, the behaviour you're getting must come from there...It's just a demo...You shouldn't get this with the 'real version'.
Now, if you have the 'real-full version':
-there's obviously something wrong, Reason is the less 'CPU sucker' app. I've ever seen. I'm personnaly running it on a G4/667, Mac OS 9.1 and the CPU meter hardly reaches the second green led even when using up to five NN19s, one or two Reddrums and many other devices (effects, DrRex...). It should also run fine on your 400MHz.
-Do you own a 'legitimate' version of Reason?... I'm not asking this to say 'Well you shouldn't !!' (although...), but because I know Reason may seem like an easy app. to just copy and use, but, as far as I've seen (on other people's set up, I do have a 'legitimate' version...), it doesn't always work the way it should : crashes, complete freeze of the comp.,...
-Where have you installed the Reason Folder?... Where have you installed the soundbank?... What OS are you using?...Are you trying to use Reason along with a soft sequencer (DP,Logic, Cubase...)?

More infos needed to try to help you...

--------------------

+Quote Post
filthdc
post Sat 11 May 2002, 18:42
Post #6

1) I am running the full version of Reason for $250 bones. It is not the new 2.0.

2) I am not at my mac to tell you what folder I have installed in, but if you give me till tonite I will be able to. I let it install in the default I guess.

3) OS 9.2. I have no idea what extensions should be turned off or on. I just started turning off things that I thought I would needed. That might be the problem.

4) Vitual Memory is turned off. Reason asked me to turn it off for some reason.

5) To be honest, I don't think the MAC is tweaked to what it needs to be at.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP>>>>>>>>> If you need anything else, please let me know.

-Mike

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 11 May 2002, 19:04
Post #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Are you still on 9.2.0 ?

There's 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 available (preferably the second one)

--------------------

+Quote Post
filthdc
post Sat 11 May 2002, 19:14
Post #8

OS 9.2.2 US

+Quote Post
nardao
post Mon 22 Nov 2004, 16:29
Post #9

Member No.: 47,890

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ May 11 2002, 18:04)
Are you still on 9.2.0 ?

There's 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 available (preferably the second one)

Hi! I could not use the audio driver ( Core audio ) with my Mbox and the software is telling that ther is a problem , I can set up built audio only and not the Mbox What is wrong?Could you help me on that?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 23:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008