MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Platinum 6 Vs Pro Tools
trock
post Tue 21 Oct 2003, 20:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,237

could be a dumb question here but can i have recommendations as to what is a better application to use as your studio software on a MAC G5??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 21 Oct 2003, 23:47
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Religious question aside, if you want very good and super fast audio editing in a semi close environement with good MIDI (without everything you can ask in MIDI and then more) it's PT. If you want very good audio and all possible bells and whistles in MIDI it's Logic.

Performer is very good too.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
trock
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 13:02
Post #3

can i ask what gives you more options?? in that which one has more onboard effects?? channel capabilities? editing capabilities?? the reason i ask is i am going to try and MIDI connect a Roland VS2480, a Triton PRO, and a POD guitare effects?? and use the MAC to control everything and use to master? i also then will import analog signals as in vocals and acoustic guitar etc? probaly throgh an M audio.

which has a better mastering toolkit??effects??

I have heard Logic is harder to learn but if you do it has more potentiaol than pro tools??

thanks for any help

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 16:24
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

PT is top notch for audio, easy to use, good plug ins. Even better with a 24 or HD system behind giving DSP power.

Logic is customisable to your own way to work, with a learning curve. Top notch plug ins, and the most MIDI deep.

Some top plug ins are on both softs so…

Of you need more audio than Midi go PT, in reverse go Logic. But some users find it way more easy to do just their MIDI in PT as they don't have to twist things and screw bolt to hear a sound.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
trock
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 16:31
Post #5

thanks

i am not sure which whay to go, i record more acoustic guitar driven pop, not electronic music??

what is the cost difference for logic 6 pltinum vs pro tools? and what pro tools platormf should i get?? menaing what all would i need in pro tools since i am not familiar with it??

+Quote Post
PhilTrueman
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 19:17
Post #6

Member No.: 5,388

Greetings Trock,

lepetitmartien - as ever - is giving good advice here.

There is no easy answer to your question - it depends on what you want to do, how deep you want to go and the amount of money in your pocket.
I have used ProToolsLE in the past and I think it is a great product - it is very intuitive, has a good interface and I actually produced tracks with it - heh heh - er...
Case for - PTLE is affordable, easy to use, great with audio, good with MIDI (IMO), high quality output.
Case against - plug-ins are very expensive (some plug-ins cost as much as the Logic app. to buy), uses only Digidesign hardware.

Logic Platinum is what I use now. It has a steep learning curve but can give you everything you need. I still haven't got my head around 'The Environment' wink.gif
Case for - affordable (um...), very flexible, fantastic audio instruments, amazing MIDI capability, score sheet ability, uses nearly any hardware.
Case against - complex, needed a HCI person early on (IMO), but that's about it.

The only way you will ever know is to use both in anger and see what you produce with both apps. As a lot of the great people who visit this web site say - it's not about the tool, it's about what you produce with it.
And Logic is ready for the G5 (wuff!)
Good luck - we're all thinking of you...

biggrin.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
trock
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 19:31
Post #7

thank you thank you for all your replies, i understand where everyone is coming from. i am going to bite the bul;let and go with logic platinum 6, reason 2.5 and recycle to start. MIDI sync my older equipmetn, the roland VS2480, Triton PRO, and POD. then i am going to sit back, tuen it all off and drink a beer and ponder what i have gotten myself into biggrin.gif

seriously i think that is how i am oging to go with my new MAC G5.

I will post as i go and let you nkow what is going on with the trial and error

does anyone see anything BAD about this set up?? anything that jumps out at you that i should switch or stay away from??

+Quote Post
Xajen
post Thu 23 Oct 2003, 07:37
Post #8

Member No.: 26,536

I've been researching pro audio apps for the mac for about a year now and i can tell you, it gets complicated. Pros here, cons there features everywhere and oh yeah... the promises of quality.

I've been able to get "access" to a lot of apps, Deck, DP4 and a few others and was not really impressed. In the end it all seemed to boil down to PT and Logic which was extremly frustrating since you can't really access either software without some form of hardware (ie PT is their interface pieces and Logic is their USB thingie)

From what i've read it kinda boiled down to a few concepts for people checking into either.

Pro Tools

Pro:

Good Entry level (Mbox, got your begining hardward and software for less then 500 bucks)

Can produce (assuming no user error, *cough* artistic ability required) amazing quality music

Good for just getting your feet wet and your don't want to worry about all the complicated stuff, good online tutorials, etc..

Industry Standards, yes i know logic likly has all the same abilities and more, but the "old schools" still tend to favor pro tools over any thing else (in the software world)

Cons:

Gets expensive AFTER you start going up the scale. 002 Rack is 1200 bucks and it is still only 32 tracks (yes this may be enough for most, but compared to logic (128+) it kinda looks behind.

VERY VERY VERY restrictive hardware, ie, you HAVE to go through a Digidesign/TDM system to get into your computer. That sucks when there is other hardward just as nice with firewire/pci connection at a fraction of the cost (*cough* tascam or Motu 896HD is nice for 192)

Plugins will kill you!
Sure, you start out with some good ones, but you want surround sound track mixing, tack on 800 bucks, you want other unique stuff, keep tacking

Summery:
If your at your House and your not doing Drums (just doing 1 or 2 mics at a time and your output is stereo and you want something "welcome and friendly", go Mbox.

if you want to spend the bucks and get super nice crap with all the bells and whistles, go TDM.

if you still want Protools and you "need" 8 track inputs (ie, drums, etc) then find an old Digi001 (which Digi is phasing out it looks like) and get a Mixer board with 8 outs (mackie board is popular for this, i am sure there are others) so you can tweak the drums for clipping and such before they even hit your 001.

if you insist on newer stuff, the 002 rack is your next step and you will still need either a mixer (for mic 5-8) or a pre-amp for those since the 002 rack only has 4 XLR connections, man if they only went with 8... sheesh.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Logic 6 Plat

Pro:

Multi-track nirvana (at a keynote it was mentioned a G5 handled 128 stereo tracks with all kinds of plugs with no problem)

Midi Heaven, I personal don't do midi but from EVERYTHING i've read, logic is like THE midi pick hands down. IF software can do it, logic will be the one to have implimented it for midi.

Surround track Mixing Built in already, you don't have to spend MORE (ie, pro tools addon is like 800 bucks, same as Logic to begin with)

User Inferface is SUPER customizable, maybe to much so for a newbie, but this is still a perk in the end.

Massive Hardware Options, chances are - if it is new, it is likly supported, even if it is older, still a good chance. Look for your support formats, ie Core Audio, etc..

Special Plugs designed just for logic (atleast i think so, like the new Space Designer)

Owned by apple, now some of you would ask, how is that a perk, i would mention stability with "new" stuff. Ie, Logic is ready for G5 already, it is (i think) ready for panther and it will likly always be ready for anything new apple produces on the Hardware or software side of things.

Cons:

Expensive to get "started" in (if you have no equipment)
Logic 6 plat cost 800 out the door and the CHEAPEST decent hardware interface (tascam's little portie) is 200 bucks. So the starting cost is like twice that of a Mbox, but you do get much wider range of software features.

Complex user interface, because it is so customizable it can confuse and intimidate just about anyone who doesn't have previous experience with the software.

With all these "plethra (sp) of software features and interface designs, it can make a high learning curve.

Not a one stop shop kinda of company, sorry but this does make a difference in my opinion and with dealing with computers users in general over the years. People for the most part like simplicity as long as it works for their needs. Emagic SUCKS when it comes to their OWN hardward interfaces. So it requires you to do a wide range of research and produces a wide range of post just like this one asking which is better. Just being an apple user alone helps point out that you like things to be "together" and this design/approach can help produce a more user friendly buying experience in the end. (btw, i am harping this point in case a apple/emagic rep is reading this, the 6/2 2/6 or whatever you want to call them are a waste compared to the mbox or the u-122)

Summery:
You better be ready to drop a grand, but if your serious and want to get "started" i would suggest getting that little portie tascam device u122 i think it is, very good quality and lowers the "entry price" and even if you upgrade to a higher input/output device you still have a portable solution.

More I/O, i would suggest the Tascam FW-1884 (for up to 8 tracks), that thing is just hard to beat for the price for a 1-8 track (mic) recording device.

if you want MORE then 8 tracks I/O, then keep your eyes open for reviews on an upcoming device from Ego Systems, HEXA FIRE
16 I/O, 8 mics in the front, 8 more via D-25 in the back and 16 out. and the thing is diasy channable. I think 4 may be the limit.

Ego Systems also has a portie coming along too, QUATA FIRE 610
Not sure what the price will be so i can only suggest keeping an eye out for the reviews when it hits.

I hope this helps,
Xajen

This post has been edited by Xajen: Thu 23 Oct 2003, 07:55

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 23 Oct 2003, 14:12
Post #9

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

I agree with lepetitmartien

I use both PT and Logic

If I want to do some serious midi composing and manipulation then I go for Logic

If I want to record audio and edit it or sequence it then I use PT... people compare using PT to actual tape machine in the way it operates and sometimes that makes things easier for some
cool.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
trock
post Fri 24 Oct 2003, 15:33
Post #10

again thanks for all the advice, now i am leaning towards pro tools instead of Logic since i don't need a ton of midi but i do want to edit, mix and effect my songs and tracks alot as i do on the vs2480.

that being said, if i were to go the Pro tools way what do i need??version?? can i use the vs2480 for the hardware portion/mixer??? and do i need reason/recycle too with Pro tools? do they work well with it??

thanks again for the help

is there a good website for pro tools??

I have also heard that the hardware that you plug your guitar into of Mic for pro tools i s horrible with delay of signal etc??

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 15 May 2024, 07:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008