MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multi-track Recording Software, Software that is simple and works in OSX
braj
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 00:16
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,729

I got the Hit Kit and I have to say I was disappointed. Not with the app so much as it's inability to work nicely with other apps. If you try using it with the IAC bus enabled in Panther, it will freeze your system. Not many apps do that these days. And I don't see Logic supporting the Hit Kit either. It's good for the price (in a way) but after that let-down I splurged and bought Tracktion. I'm happy with that decision. The time you save in Tracktion not struggling with the interface (read: Metro) is worth the purchase price.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 00:47
Post #32

Member No.: 32,387

Hey braj. Thanks for the tip re: the Hit Kit. It didn't seem to suit what I was looking for so I narrowed down my choices to Jasmine (shareware), Metro SE, Intuem 2.1, and Tracktion 1.5. Did you vote in my poll yet? I have a poll going in the Getting Started section about this. From your comments, I would guess you didn't care much for Metro. I have not tried any of these but Metro looked full of features but more like a stripped down version of the more "professional" versions of Metro and thus, more complicated.

+Quote Post
braj
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 04:21
Post #33

I actually own Metro and have to say it is powerful and has many features I really like. The only thing is it takes me so long to get everything set up, the interface is very Classic Mac. There are so many menu items and windows. I'm glad I own it as it will continue to be a great toolbox into the future (I really like it's step-entry, drum pattern sequencer, note paintbrush, etc etc etc). It works extremely well if I only use QT instruments to compose Midi that I can use elsewhere. It also can use both AU and VST (Tracktion is VST only). There's plenty to like, and for some it is probably perfect.

But it sucks for editing audio loops. I feels like it is living in the past in that regard, you can't do simple snap-to editing of samples. And setting up aux busses etc is just whacky. I don't want to emulate a hardware setup, I want to use as efficient a software setup as possible. Maybe it's because I have so little free time, but I can't deal with all the manual tweaking it takes to get anything done in Metro (IMO). So It's not that I don't care for it, it just didn't work out as my primary DAW. I'm really going to try and use it as much as possible still, like I said, drum and step sequencing are both good. I just had to find an easier way to deal with software synths and effects. Tracktion does that very well. If I had to only have one though, today I would choose Tracktion.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Fri 6 Feb 2004, 06:37
Post #34

With my setup (G3 iMac 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.2.8 Audiophile USB), would the Logic Audio 6 Big Box Bundle be a good choice for a newbie such as me? My concerns are: will it run okay on my system, and will it be so enormously complicated for a newbie like me that I will just get frustrated?

I see the the bundle is quite a good deal and so it does look attractive, price-wise and feature wise. I just do not want overkill or something that will be sluggish on my computer and very very hard to learn. THANKS!!

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 21:20
Post #35

If you are reading this topic, then please check out my poll for which of 4 entry level multi-track recording programs would be best for newbies. The Poll includes: Jasmine, Intuem, Tracktion, and Metro 6 SE. Any votes, comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

+Quote Post
braj
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 22:33
Post #36

Of the four in your poll, Tracktion is definitely the most powerful, easiest to use, and has pro-level support (it's being distributed by Mackie with their new mixers). I've tried them all and you should definitely consider it. I'm entirely pleased.

+Quote Post
braj
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 22:37
Post #37

And Tracktion should run very well on your G3. You can freeze tracks when you start getting bogged down with too many effects if you need, which works beautifully. I've heard of people doing 16+ tracks on 266 G3 Powerbooks without major issues.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 23:07
Post #38

Wow! Thanks braj. Sounds good to me. I appreciate your input.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sun 8 Feb 2004, 00:17
Post #39

In my other Topic, which is actually a poll, Metro 6 SE is ahead so far in votes. Is it really that good? To me it seems to have quite a few features, but looks quite cumbersome to use and is for OS 9 and OS X, and some features work in one and not the other. Tracktion looks easier to use and is made only for OS X. Intuem 2.1 looks easy to use, like Tractkion, seems to have a good interface, and also is able to convert MIDI tracks to audio (which I don't think Metro or Tracktion can do).

+Quote Post
braj
post Sun 8 Feb 2004, 01:25
Post #40

QUOTE (Dadoo @ Feb 7 2004, 23:17)
In my other Topic, which is actually a poll, Metro 6 SE is ahead so far in votes. Is it really that good? To me it seems to have quite a few features, but looks quite cumbersome to use and is for OS 9 and OS X, and some features work in one and not the other. Tracktion looks easier to use and is made only for OS X. Intuem 2.1 looks easy to use, like Tractkion, seems to have a good interface, and also is able to convert MIDI tracks to audio (which I don't think Metro or Tracktion can do).

Metro is powerful, but cumbersome, and the SE version is intentionally crippled with limitations (only one software synth besides Soundfonts -or- 3 effects). Traction doesn't have this limitation and is way easier to use.

Intuem has terrible support. I was considering it, but they never responded to several e-mails and there is no user community.

Tracktion has a good community with forums hosted at here. Really, this would be your best choice. The code base is multiplatform, newer than Metro, and the recent relationship with Mackie means it is growing into a real pro app. $80 for the full version compared to $69 for Metro SE's crippleware, or $80 for Intuem's lack of support and deep featureset. Really, there is no reasonable comparison. Tracktion is the best value.

Tracktion can convert Midi to audio (freeze to use later as midi or render to audio). It is much more flexible than Intuem by comparison, which only converts to audio.

I would say this: a lot of Mac users are more familiar with Metro since it has been on the Mac for a long time, so it's no surprise it won in your poll. If I hadn't discovered Tracktion, I would likely agree. What Metro SE is really good for is a GM sequencer, to open .mid files and remix them, or to create tracks specifically for later use in another sequencer or for distributing on the web to be played by Quicktime. There is plenty to like, but if you want to do more than just use GM sounds, it starts to get too complicated for efficient use, IMO. Since it isn't widely used in pro situations, I don't think it is worth investing the time to 'figure out'. IO spent plenty of time on the Metro forums and help files trying to figure out things that are easy as can be in Tracktion.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 04:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008