MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Multi-track Recording Software, Software that is simple and works in OSX
RGirardi
post Thu 29 Jan 2004, 20:42
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,907

regarding the Logic Hit Kit...
Could you point me to a link please? I was unable to find it on the Amazon site.
-thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siddy
post Thu 29 Jan 2004, 20:55
Post #27

Member No.: 30,002

Hi - I got the name slightly wrong - it is "The Hit Kit" - from Amazon.co.uk it is now £17.50, and the ISBN is 1405302305

Hope this is some help.

Clive

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Fri 30 Jan 2004, 02:02
Post #28

Member No.: 32,387

Thanks for the advice about the Hit Kit. Any other votes for which of the 4 software titles I mentioned you would choose? The contenders again are:

Jasmine
Metro SE or the new LX
Tracktion
Intuem

+Quote Post
braj
post Fri 30 Jan 2004, 07:27
Post #29

Member No.: 32,729

I just ordered the Hit Kit from Barnes and Knoble in the US for $27. I'd like to know more about it, anyone? I have GarageBand (it's nice, but limited and a DOG on a 667 Ti), Metro 6 (it's powerful, but there are a bunch of things about it that bug me). I'm thinking about getting Logic Express, so I wanted to see if the UI and basic workflow would work for me. Will the Hit Kit version give me this basic perspective? Also, I don't plan to use any hardware synths (this is only a hobby for my), so I'm wondering if the Hit Kit version may just be a good fit. Can you send out midi to the IAC bus? if so, the 8 internal tracks and additional Midi tracks will likely be enough for my.

Someone, please let me know.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Mon 2 Feb 2004, 00:55
Post #30

There does not seem to be too many more replies to this topic so I've created a poll for choosing which of the 4 products I mentioned above would be best for a new home recording studio person. Please feel free to vote for what you think is best!

+Quote Post
braj
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 00:16
Post #31

I got the Hit Kit and I have to say I was disappointed. Not with the app so much as it's inability to work nicely with other apps. If you try using it with the IAC bus enabled in Panther, it will freeze your system. Not many apps do that these days. And I don't see Logic supporting the Hit Kit either. It's good for the price (in a way) but after that let-down I splurged and bought Tracktion. I'm happy with that decision. The time you save in Tracktion not struggling with the interface (read: Metro) is worth the purchase price.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 00:47
Post #32

Hey braj. Thanks for the tip re: the Hit Kit. It didn't seem to suit what I was looking for so I narrowed down my choices to Jasmine (shareware), Metro SE, Intuem 2.1, and Tracktion 1.5. Did you vote in my poll yet? I have a poll going in the Getting Started section about this. From your comments, I would guess you didn't care much for Metro. I have not tried any of these but Metro looked full of features but more like a stripped down version of the more "professional" versions of Metro and thus, more complicated.

+Quote Post
braj
post Thu 5 Feb 2004, 04:21
Post #33

I actually own Metro and have to say it is powerful and has many features I really like. The only thing is it takes me so long to get everything set up, the interface is very Classic Mac. There are so many menu items and windows. I'm glad I own it as it will continue to be a great toolbox into the future (I really like it's step-entry, drum pattern sequencer, note paintbrush, etc etc etc). It works extremely well if I only use QT instruments to compose Midi that I can use elsewhere. It also can use both AU and VST (Tracktion is VST only). There's plenty to like, and for some it is probably perfect.

But it sucks for editing audio loops. I feels like it is living in the past in that regard, you can't do simple snap-to editing of samples. And setting up aux busses etc is just whacky. I don't want to emulate a hardware setup, I want to use as efficient a software setup as possible. Maybe it's because I have so little free time, but I can't deal with all the manual tweaking it takes to get anything done in Metro (IMO). So It's not that I don't care for it, it just didn't work out as my primary DAW. I'm really going to try and use it as much as possible still, like I said, drum and step sequencing are both good. I just had to find an easier way to deal with software synths and effects. Tracktion does that very well. If I had to only have one though, today I would choose Tracktion.

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Fri 6 Feb 2004, 06:37
Post #34

With my setup (G3 iMac 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.2.8 Audiophile USB), would the Logic Audio 6 Big Box Bundle be a good choice for a newbie such as me? My concerns are: will it run okay on my system, and will it be so enormously complicated for a newbie like me that I will just get frustrated?

I see the the bundle is quite a good deal and so it does look attractive, price-wise and feature wise. I just do not want overkill or something that will be sluggish on my computer and very very hard to learn. THANKS!!

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sat 7 Feb 2004, 21:20
Post #35

If you are reading this topic, then please check out my poll for which of 4 entry level multi-track recording programs would be best for newbies. The Poll includes: Jasmine, Intuem, Tracktion, and Metro 6 SE. Any votes, comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 23:12
- © MacMusic 1997-2008