MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Imac G5 For Audio, question about conveniet mac hardware
paideia
post Thu 29 Sep 2005, 15:47
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,060

Hello,

I canot get a Power Mac G5 dual, but I can buy an Imac G5, but, is it good for compose with virtual instruments? Has it the sufficient power?.

Other question, I will not recording, only works with virtual instruments: will an audio interface give me more power in a mix situation in my computer? In other words: I dont know if an audio interface like Mbox or Tascam us 122 or Motu 828mkII will help me to get more power to run plugins, mix, etc with an imac g5 running dp 4 or logic express. Thanks, sorry for my english and wait yours comments.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dangt
post Fri 30 Sep 2005, 06:07
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 23,835

An Imac G5 with 1Ghz of ram is doing me fine. I run protools and other programs, And have no problem running big seesions with many edits and 10 + plugins.

An audio interface will not give you anymore computer power, but will give you better audio quality IN and OUT.

hope this helps.

Note: it pays to make sure your computer is running smooth and uncluttered when running pro audio applications. things like active virus software and background apps and configs can be set so they wont slow your main apps down.

+Quote Post
Narayan
post Fri 30 Sep 2005, 07:32
Post #3

Member No.: 61,412

Hi,
I have a Powerbook G4 1.6GH and it is running fine with software instruments. I do not record music. For running virutal instruments, Logic Express or Logic pro is a beter choice, as it has a built in sampler, which can accommodate external sound samples in Akai, sound fonts format etc. The apple loop facility is also a very good tool especially for ready made bass and rythm patterns. Other plug ins also work fine.
If you are a trained musician, you also can feed notes with the score editor, if you cannot play a very fast passage, or if you do not have a synthesizer. Have fun.
Narayanan

+Quote Post
tai Meierhans
post Fri 30 Sep 2005, 11:35
Post #4

Member No.: 70,678

iMac works good, but you will find plugIns to get problems with even a fast running machine. The only possibiliity to save cpu power is an external dsp based hardwarebox like t.c. powercore.

ciao

+Quote Post
bubbles
post Sat 29 Oct 2005, 21:55
Post #5

Member No.: 62,323

the new iMac G5s aslo have a faster hd (7200) than in the past which will help dramatically with latency issues.

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Sun 30 Oct 2005, 18:10
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

There's a difference between plug-ins and virtual instruments.

Plug-ins like filters, reverbs compressors and the like are used inside lets- say Digital Performer or Cubase - they will in most cases work just fine - even with my iMac G4.
(convolution reverbs is not an option of course)

However triggering the sounds from Motus virtual synth MX-4 -- that can be used either
as a standalone application triggered from my midi keyboard or as
a plug-in inside Digital Performer
consumes hugh amounts of cpu-cycles from you computer.

On my iMac G4-800 I can ONLY trigger the simplest sounds from MX-4 via
my midi-keyboard. Any complex sound vill overload my CPU.

At that I'm NOT even runing anything else on my computer.
Much less usding DP-4 and using MX-4 inside that as a plug-in.

In short to run virtual instruments like Motu:s MX-4 you'll need a really powerful computer.
I personally got the advice from "Big Daddy" (moderator at OS-X Audio)
to go for at least a dual G5-2.3

My advice would definitely be - try BEFORE you buy.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

This post has been edited by dixiechicken: Sun 30 Oct 2005, 18:11

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
chmara
post Sun 30 Oct 2005, 21:43
Post #7

Member No.: 51,447

I rammed my iMac G5 up to 2 Gig -- and got the bigger screen for work area. Run 4 FW external drive for various osunds, loops, saves and back-ups.

I find it handy to work out some presets in the free standing instrument and then bring them in with the plug-in in Logic -- a two step process that is part of my creative means. Others use the plug-in for every tweek imaginable until they are in post.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 31 Oct 2005, 06:13
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

RAM is the important thing first then power, not enough RAM = first wall, not enough power = second wall. For a homestudio use, an iMac G5 with lots of ram, external HD can be enough smile.gif

RAM minimum 1 GB, if you like virtual instruments/samplers the more the better. and MORE than 1GB definitely.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Bluemover9999
post Tue 1 Nov 2005, 13:47
Post #9

Member No.: 69,782

If you're going for an imac definitely max out the RAM to 2GB. Since I did that I hardly have to do any freezing at all. I have two external FW drives one to run all my samples from and one to store my other related data and I run Logic from the imacs hard drive.

The only minor issues are in the mix and mastering stage when I'm piling the dsp's on, but usually freezing works.

I will probably upgrade to a dual soon, and I'm eyeing a QUAD!!!!! biggrin.gif

Sometimes limits can improve your music making, as your less likely to pile everything on to a track. when it becomes frustrating. angry.gif ..it's time to upgrade! tongue.gif

--------------------
imac G5 / Logic Pro 7.1.1 / Presonus Firepod/Line 6 POD 2.0/Roland GR-300/

+Quote Post
edge100
post Wed 16 Nov 2005, 13:32
Post #10

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

My advice: eat instant noodles for a few weeks and save the money for a Dual Core 2.0. Run it on a cheap 17" or 19" CRT monitor for a while if you have to.

You will get a lot moe milage out of a Powermac than an iMac. MUCH greater expandibility, MUCH better performance on Dual Processor aware programs (like Logic, DP, PT).

Ask yourself: in 3-4 years, when software requires twice the CPU to run than it does now, will you be more happy you paid for a pretty 20" LCDand iSight you dont use, or that you spent a little extra for a computer that you can upgrade, and that, owing to the dual cores, is still able to handle most of what you throw at it.

I was considering the iMac. Now I'm going with the PM.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 10 May 2024, 06:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008