MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Digital Performer 4--in Da House, Yeah, I broke down and got it...
Levon River
post Sun 13 Apr 2003, 02:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

How long can you stay mad at a unicorn? biggrin.gif

This ain't yer granny's Digital Performer.

Just got it installed and launched once, opened an old, creaky DP 3x project, and it fired right up (after coughing a few times about missing--read: obsolete--OS 9 effects plugz that had been in the session). It played back like a champ.

I need to do some audio optimization (buffer, latency optimizations, etc.) because I have different hardware than I was running DP3 with, but overall it's a thing of beauty and grace. Several very nice GUI enhancements have made it even better than it was.

It does, by the way, have track "freezing": a sort of virtual (and revertable) "bounce" of a track or tracks, freeing up effects and other resources. Then you can "unfreeze" it to do further adjustments, etc.

This is really just a first-impression pre-review. The manual is about the size and mass of a concrete block. (Just kidding--sorta'.) I'm getting cozy with the Quick Start guide at the moment to see what is new and different, and will be gettin' serious with it here over the next day or two. I'll make this a sort of journal thread, with segmented reviews, and will answer whatever questions get thrown at me as I can.

Nobody will ever hear this boy sayin' "It was worth the wait," because I've already made my disgust with MOTU manifest over them dragging their horseshoes into OS X-land. But I will say that it seems, on first blush, that they did a thorough job of it. Now I'll see what happens when I crank 'er up to speed...

blink.gif rolleyes.gif smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 23:08
- © MacMusic 1997-2008