MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Pinose Amp As A Pre-amp?
strangedogs
post Mon 30 Jan 2006, 18:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,239

Usually play my Guitar directly through my G5 Imac using a 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter on the end of my guitar cable... I'm using Amplitube and Guitar Rig software (Garageband too to import the tracks). Found a cheap Pignose Amp with pre-amp out and thought I could use it as a pre-amp to make the sound a bit richer - but the speaker on the Pignose doesn't cut out when used - is this normal? I can remove the speaker wires from the Pignose (internally) if I need to - does anyone know if this will work as a pre-amp??

http://www.pignoseamps.com/index.php?disp=...portamps&id=253
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dixiechicken
post Tue 31 Jan 2006, 19:45
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

The sound from the loudpeaker/cabinet in a guitaramp is a very important component in the all-over perceived sound.
That's why the Line 6 POD has a switch for "direct out/amp out" at the left/right output.
In amp-mode the POD:s speaker-cabinet simulation is disabled.

It is also important that the signal-levels and impedances from preamp-out into
"recording-gear/power-amp input" - have the proper ratios.

Both for getting a good signal for your recording gear to work with - and to avoid distortion
and unnecessary hiss.

If your Pignose "pre-amp out" were to have a specified impedance of have lets say 20 KOhms.

If you were to connect a load from some strange indeed constructed poweramp with an input
impedance of 200 Ohms.
Your Pignose preamp would suddenly have to deliver current into a resulting impedance of 198 Ohms.
thats roughly a 10 to the second power difference.  Thats pretty close to short a short circuit - well not quite.

If your Pignose preamp out is transistor driven - you will fry those transistors and possibly the powerpack
and other components as well - in two seconds flat.

However the other way around is completely safe - in comparison.
A 200 Ohms output kan easily handle a 20 KOhm load.
The 200 Ohm output will only feel the result as a 198 Ohm load instead of 200 - only a 1 percent difference.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 10:18
- © 440 Forums 2011