MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Lo-tech Music-maker, low cpu low ram workstation?
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Thu 6 Aug 2009, 03:05
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,692

I recently acquired an older iBook G4 for simple on-the-go email and web things. It's running 10.4, 1.33 GHz PPC processor, with only 256 MB RAM. I've been wanting to do some basic music stuff on the bus ride to/from work, but i haven't successfully found a program that runs smoothly. i don't need it to do a lot. and i'm remembering the days before i switched to mac, having a crappy pc with a 500MHz processor, and only like 64 MB of ram, and easily running ReBirth and a couple other programs.

i mainly want a couple drums and synths to work with. i actually got rebirth from the website, but for some reason this iBook's previous owner apparently deleted anything to do with Classic OS, so i don't have os9 on here to run rebirth in. and i don't have the install discs. (i'm not complaining because the iBook was free)

is there anything that could be suggested for me? either a way for me to "re-get" Classic onto my iBook or some sort of os9 emulator.... OR a similar light CPU light on RAM program.

This community has been a huge help to me over the past few years! so i'm sure you guys will have plenty of ideas for me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
midiwife
post Tue 11 Aug 2009, 11:14
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,287

I know for a fact that you get 2 unlocks with Ableton Live so you can have a copy on a desktop and on a laptop without contravening any licence. But, as you say, it depends on the clout of your mac and the versions of the software you actually have access to.
Plus, the biggie is probably when we go to Snow Leopard, Intel only, so if any new incarnation of the progs require snow leopard, you will be stuck.
But for now, Reason 4 should be OK?

Good luck.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 15:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008