MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac V's Pc
post Tue 21 Oct 2003, 19:16
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

I have been using a PC P3 800mhz with cubase SL and I am thinking about making the move to a Mac running logic.
I do not know much about the comparisons in the hardware but is this a better way to go than a new PC

Any thoughts would be helpful
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
digitalboy
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 04:45
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,006

Mac rulez tongue.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 22 Oct 2003, 16:17
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

[MODERATION MODE]
NO RELIGIOUS BATTLE PLEASE, NO MAC/PC FIGHT, LASER IS IN FUNCTION!!!!! angry.gif angry.gif
[/MODERATION MODE]

Right now compared to a G4, a top end PC will give you more tracks/plug ins and XP is plain stable and polished. Now you like Windoz or not.

To compare with G5 is still under controversy. But G5 mono 1,8 are equivalent to a G4 Bi 1,25 (Source)

The first test from our Active Member Celmo (pro user, in the French forums) show that the Bi 2,2 is a bomb and most of the software and hardware compatible works top notch (cubase is way better than before) (Thread in French here)

Still no caccounting of number of tracks/plug ins as max load available… But maybe someone can do the test wink.gif

Upon the OSX: Pros are starting really to use it for a few weeks now in 10.2.x (at least we have some here and we can give names wink.gif, Pa,ther seems to go for the better. As a veteran Mac power User (still in 9.04 myself because I'm on a BW G3 400) the 10.2.7 on G5 at Apple Expo Paris in September was the first time PSX made me really itch, user experience almost without pain (it's sometimes difficult for long term mac user to go OSX). It's slick, and starting to be really polished. I've had way more facilities than I have when i'm going at a friend's who is on PCs and XP, wich is still a pain in the A… for me.

To be short: I can't tell you which is the most powerfull now but I'm way convinced of the easiest to deal with wink.gif

About Logic Vs something… Did you named a second sequencer? I'm not sure wink.gif tongue.gif

Have a good reading anyway as some points on the Cubase/logic controversy are already there.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
post Thu 23 Oct 2003, 11:38
Post #4

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks for the info
I meant Logic V's cubase SL

+Quote Post
dixiechicken
post Thu 23 Oct 2003, 12:58
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 14,645

For sequencers/daw:s - dont forget Digital Performer 4.1, Protools, Ableton Live.

Prefer DP 4.1 myself very slick & intuitive, runs on a Protools hardware rig - if you got one. (hehe)

For cheapo daw:s Metro 6.0 from Sagantech seems to be very well thought of.

Cheers: Dixiechicken

--------------------
==================
Oh my god it's full of stars…
---------------------------------------------------
Mac-G5-2x.2.0, OS-X 10.5.1, 250/200Gb HD - 7.0Gb ram
DP-5.13, Motu 828 MK-II, MTP AV Usb, ltst drvs,
Kurzweil-2000, EPS-16, Proteus-2000, Yamaha 01V
Emes Kobalt monitors
================================

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 23 Oct 2003, 14:20
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

here's the biggest issue these days in Mac Vs PC since PC's are now more stable and easier to use....

STILL.... for everyone 1 virus on a Mac... there are about 10 for PC's and how many times do you see headlines in news that claim MS found another security hole in their software and require users to d/l and use a patch? The Mac has had these problems too but not nearly as much wink.gif I personally try to stay away from MS products as much as possible because they are the most hacked and attacked software available. Popularity comes at a price they say:rolleyes:

I love sitting here at work reading emails about potential new virus or worm attacks... I just laugh because they "almost" never affect my Mac biggrin.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
boze
post Fri 24 Oct 2003, 01:13
Post #7

Member No.: 24,676

i think the virus comment would be better coming from someone who used a pc and thought it had a negative effect than from someone who doesn't have first hand experience with keeping a windoze box virus free. it's true that folks don't bother writing virus's for osx, but it's not like running windoze amounts to some super high risk or anything. you could just as easily have deleted your home directory in osx as get hacked through some m$ security hole. osx comes out with 10.2.8 and suddenly folks can't use ethernet connections and the update gets recalled. that sounds like a windoze story but it's not.

anyway- no offense, i tend to be too wordy about this stuff.

macs and PCs are both great. osx is just about grown up starting tomorrow with panther and xp is solid as well. the worst is over as far as waiting for plugins and instruments to be released for osx, but xp has everything running for it already since it didn't spend the past three years rewriting dos or whatever (who knows if longhorn will do to pc plugins what osx did to mac plugins?).

if you're looking for a laptop, the iBooks just got way more attractive for audio ppl. check the applestore for details- they all have G4s now.

generally speaking, if you have any sort of budget you can get a quality pc and still have more money left over for the other gear that goes into home recording than if you bought a G4 or G5 desktop. also, G5s aren't the best value right now unless you can afford the dual processor one for $3000us. it's better to buy a mac desktop when the sweetspot for value isn't the top of the line. like when the G4s first went over so they were all dualprocessor and suddenly the 867 was a dual867 for the same price.

sorry this is so stream-of-consciousness. i just got back from a bikeride and it was cold and i'm feeling sort of funny.

good luck!

This post has been edited by boze: Fri 24 Oct 2003, 01:26

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
Popmann
post Fri 24 Oct 2003, 02:54
Post #8

Member No.: 22,012

i think the virus comment would be better coming from someone who used a pc and thought it had a negative effect than from someone who doesn't have first hand experience with keeping a windoze box virus free.

I work in a corporate environment where 4 or 5 people's full time job has been taming the latest worm ut break. That's a LOT of time and money. Not to mention user productivity lost.

But, at home, no-I've never had down time because of a virus. Because of Windows? Yes. Virus? No. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
arne_e
post Fri 24 Oct 2003, 05:32
Post #9

Member No.: 27,100

QUOTE (boze @ Oct 24 2003, 00:13)
if you have any sort of budget you can get a quality pc and still have more money left over for the other gear

As an educator, and long time Macaddict, I'd have to reluctantly agree. I've heard it too many times from students who scrap together the money to buy a decent Mac, and then are shocked at the cost of software.

I'd say go with whatever platform the smartest person around you has. He/She might be the one helping you in the end.

+Quote Post
Popmann
post Fri 24 Oct 2003, 06:03
Post #10

Member No.: 22,012

mmm...I would question that logic.

What software is more expensive on the Mac? Premium software is always equivalent. The PC just offers cheap lesser quality software.

The (desktop) computers in the Apple world are more expensive for the processing power. But, peripheral hardware (audio/midi/drives/RAM) are not really. Premium software is not really.

Now, if what you mean is instead of paying $3k for a new G5 if your entire budget is $3k, one should pay $1500 for a PC and the other $1500 on software, I'd agree. Except that depending on what you're doing with it, you could easily buy a $1500 Mac and have the same software-albeit with a hit in expandability and CPU power. And other than certain types of apps, the slowest CPU you can buy on either platform will be more than enough.

I'm in the opposite scenario. I love Logic and Nuendo. Version 2 of Nuendo is killer. While it will run on a cheaper computer (PC)...it's $1200 where Logic (Mac only) is $700. And less if you get the very capable Gold version($500).

I'm well versed in both MacOSclassic and Win98/me/2k/XP...in fact I support Windows for a living.

So, if not Nuendo, what PC app would I use? Sonar? POS. Samplitude? No MIDI. Cubase? Maybe, if they get the MIDI timing worked out.

Whereas, I buy the Mac...I have my choice of Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, or ProTools(if I buy their HW).

Office? Got it...but, if I didn't, Appleworks does a good job, too.

i say you pick your platform based on the software you want to use--it should be budgeted first. Too, many people make the mistake of saving for an uber computer (on either side) then using cheap, buggy, less capable software due to running out of $$.

Software allows you to work. Hardware just runs-or doesn't. The OS binds the two.

Digidesign didn't implement any kind of plug in copy protection into their TDM hardware-bootleg plug ins make their platform seem cheaper, so they'll turn the other cheek. Bill Gates does the same. With a evening of broadband surfing, you can pull any piece of PC software you might need. That doesn't make it legitimately cheaper.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 10:24
- © MacMusic 1997-2008