MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Newbie, I Want To Switch!, Some concerns about audio hardware.
poochie
post Wed 15 Jun 2005, 21:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,847

Here's the dealio. I'm moving soon, and I think I'll take the opportunity to buy a new computer and set up some recording hardware. I want it to be based around a shiny new 20" iMac. smile.gif

I'm going to use Garageband, and I just need to know what extra hardware I need to record using an electric guitar, a bass guitar, a MIDI keyboard, and maybe a mic.
The $2000 computer is going to leave me hurting, so I hope I don't have to spend a bajillion dollars to set all this up.

I'll be playing my guitar through a Line6 POD.

My keybaord is an M-Audio Radium 49, and I usually plug it in to my PC's USB port.

Don't have a mic yet, but would like the support.

This post has been edited by poochie: Wed 15 Jun 2005, 21:29
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Guitar God
post Wed 15 Jun 2005, 22:06
Post #2

Member No.: 54,891

Well you're gonna need a good Audio-Interface. A good one is M-Audio Mobile Pre, this is the best place I have found for it price-wise.

+Quote Post
poochie
post Wed 15 Jun 2005, 22:21
Post #3

Member No.: 66,847

Cool, that looks like it'd work really well for me... It would be completely compatible with Garageband 2.0, right?

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Thu 16 Jun 2005, 10:09
Post #4

Member No.: 48,982

You got any speakers yet? A set of powered monitors will work nicely. What about Harmon Kardon iSub and sattelites.

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
B3 Basher
post Thu 16 Jun 2005, 10:09
Post #5

Member No.: 52,008

If you are going to get an audio interface for a HOME studio, stay clear of M-Audio 'mobile' products. They are geared for the laptop musician and consequently they are designed for use with headphones only. Once you use one of these in a studio with your speakers you'll get annoyed having to turn off the speakers each time you want to record an acoustic instrument or vocals - The reason being that there is no separate monitor/headphone output knob.

Get yourself a Mackie Spike - Comes with Traktion which is a step up from GarageBand but just as easy.

--------------------
________________--==:: Watch The Skies ::==--________________
- DVD soundtracking <> Scoring <> Composition <> Production <> ReMixing -

+Quote Post
jaffi
post Sun 19 Jun 2005, 19:53
Post #6

Member No.: 66,983

I personally have a MOTU Traveler. It is a firewire interface that has 4 mic pre's with phantom power. The pre's also double as a DI. It also offers 4 line ins, 8 line outs, S/PDIF, AES/EBU, wordclock, TOSLink, MIDI. It can be bus powered, DC powered or external battery pack powered. The sound is great and it can be expandable. It also offers Cuemix which allows 4 bus mixes within the Traveler itself and zero latency monitoring. They also provide a simple recording program called AudioDesk. I personally didn't install it because I use Logic. Give it a good look.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 20:33
- © MacMusic 1997-2008