MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Apple goes Intel. Why?, Apple
_news_
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 20:42
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Apple goes Intel. Why?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
BobbiStyle
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 20:42
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,387

Hi Peeps

Had a Mac since 1987. Always for Muzak.... Gutted. R.I.P.

BUT... Let's not forget that Gates purchased all the PowerPC chips for his XBox. (Kinda, low end versions anyway) which put Apple in need of a new chip manufacturer.

For a self confessed Mac Bigot and Intel/Windows hater, it's a dark DARK day.
Peace

Bobbi
http://www.bobbistyle.com/

This post has been edited by BobbiStyle: Mon 6 Jun 2005, 20:42

+Quote Post
vaal
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 21:07
Post #3

Member No.: 51,333

Everyone needs to relax, it's going to be just fine. IBM apparently broke promises to Apple with their PowerPC line and the roadmap is actually looking pretty bleek. The "Cell" processors in the new gaming consoles are somewhat scaled down versions of the PPC 970.

Apple didn't have a choice at this point, and I'm happy that they decided to go this way given all that's happened. AMD would've been a better choice in my opinion, but I guess now they have all the options in the world.

Maybe there will be a RISC-based processor in Apple's future someday that they will actually benefit from. At this point, though, it's not going to come from IBM. At least not in the near future.

+Quote Post
BobbiStyle
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 21:24
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 8,387

Hi Vaal

I agree about the IBM "lack", which is what I was hinting at.
Just saddened. Love my G5!

Cheers
Bobbi

+Quote Post
maxryzone
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 21:31
Post #5

Member No.: 54,758

can someone explain in clear terms what this all means to my current software (Macromedia, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Illustrator) - will all this be wasted??

I was about to purchase the iLife, Garageband and the Logic 7 Upgrade - what should I do???

+Quote Post
vaal
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 22:12
Post #6

Member No.: 51,333

No, absolutely nothing is wasted, it won't affect your current software at all. Go about your usual lives. :]

And I do very much love my Power Mac G5, however, the lack of PCI-e bothers me a bit. Especially when I look at some of the newer technologies coming out that require it. That goes for my PowerBook G4, too. The Alienware desktop and mobile workstations make me jealous.

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 23:02
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 60,731

Apple cannot marry with anybody. If IBM, that by the way is not at its better moment, does not work, that Intel come or the one that is able to construct a Powerbook G5 or Power Mac G6. The future it must be cleared.

This post has been edited by Jsegura: Mon 6 Jun 2005, 23:03

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 6 Jun 2005, 23:25
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I didn't put everything into the news, I tried to concentrate on the main with some depth and personal ARRRGGGGh wink.gif

The fat code will run on PPC and Intel and Apple will support PPC still after the 2006 date.

On the software side, it's a rather safe path if everything is as Steve said (easiness to recompile), on the hardware I much more in doubt, it'll restrain people to buy new hardware. It's really sad as IBM has some really fine CPUs in the Power family (G5 is a Power4 lite).

The 2 important things…

- nowhere it is said it'll run on x86 CPUs…
- nowhere it is said it'll be "PCs" wink.gif

But we lack most of the important informations in fact to really know what's happening save the input needed for developers and end users, the real deal on the architecture is unknown yet. unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
indebttome
post Tue 7 Jun 2005, 00:13
Post #9

Member No.: 36,637

Let's remember this, as well - although OSX is great, one of the things that makes it that way is the control over the hardware. I have seen people posting elseware about running OSX on their Dell, etc. This won't happen. Apple will build boxes, as they do now and always have, specific to the OS. (Remember the clones fiasco in the 90s). By controlling the platform, you give more power to the OS - you sell machines, and you eliminate stupid Windows things like spending 2 hours loading a driver for your printer or new card.

Their will be Apple architecture - as there is now, and PC platforms, as there are now.

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
post Tue 7 Jun 2005, 00:15
Post #10

Member No.: 22,159

this is CRAP! Longevity, come on!

it won't be as crap if:
We get a goddamn 64bit version of PPC OSX IN TIME for software dev to get out 64bit versions of their softs. Apple, you know what's up!

My G5 has got several years as a top machine ahead of it, I thought, but now... hmm, I don't know. Might sell it, or what? Use wintel at school, won't be so hard to switch. There I sort of know what I am getting, at least, and for a cheaper $.

This means dedication to the G5 will be... out the window. I bought my G5 for hardware, software AND longevity.

Well, whatever. Tired of all this transitions. Get a cheap PC, mod it to run OSX, if it seems worth it. It won't be if there are more shit transitions ahead...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 00:22
- © 440 Forums 2011