MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upgrading G3?, question about upgrading cpu and ram
Anselm
post Tue 17 Aug 2004, 15:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,077

I am running DP4 on a 400mghz, 512mb G3. I know i will need more power and more ram at some point. I can upgrade my cpu to 800mghz and stuff all the ram I can get into the thing, but will this be worth the effort? MOTU couldn't tell me too much about this, and I got the impression that altivec is not necessarily essential to performance. If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, I would certainly appreciate the input. I want to avoid spending a fortune, for now.

thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
prrcomm
post Thu 19 Aug 2004, 08:05
Post #2

Member No.: 47,587

On upgrading your G3:

1) More memory is always a plus. It'll cost you $100 to max out your memory. Do it.

2) You won't necessarily need a processor upgrade. My buddy has a B&W G3/350 and runs DP4. He just did a project running 22 tracks and a bunch of plug-ins with no problem.

3) If you do a processor upgrade, check to see if your software and OS will run with it.

+Quote Post
Anselm
post Thu 19 Aug 2004, 15:42
Post #3

Member No.: 47,077

prrcomm:

Thanks for the reply. Your information is surprising. Most of the feedback I have gotten on this subject so far has been leaning toward buying a new G5. That's a lot of dough! I want to put my money into plug ins. Can you tell me what your friend was using as far as plug ins?

I should also note that I can upgrade the processor to 1.5ghz, or 1.0 with sonnettech....around $400. worth it? I don't know.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 10 Sep 2004, 20:51
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

1,5 GHz… ooops, 1GHz I know, be beware, somme cards lower the bus speed in order to do that and the result is not that great. If I remember correctly, a good G4 700-800 MHz card will end up better than Mr monster at 1 GHz.

Some serious reading (great site, terrific interface) at xlr8yourmac will help a lot. Note also that not all cards are ok for music work, check compatibility at Digidesign, if it works for them, it'll work for everyone (sorry I don't remember the prefered manufacturers… should browse a little for that).

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 20:02
- © MacMusic 1997-2008