MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Crackling Then Distorted Audio, is it powercore or audiophile?
backini
post Sun 19 Mar 2006, 01:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,674

When I play back a busy arrangement in Logic, after a while I start to get slight distortion, then crackling, then severe distortion over the audio. I suspect its some sort of conflict between my powercore element and my audiophile 2496 as this started to happen on my G4 just before I upgraded, now I have a G5 and I've started to get the same problem although the only thing in my machine that isn't new is the powercore pci card. I would put it down soley to the powercore were it not for the fact that when I switch the audio drivers to inbuilt audio, the problem disappears, pointing at the sound card as being the culprit. I have followed both TC and Maudio's advise (re-installing latest drivers, moving around to different pci slots) but had no luck. Any help would be much appreciated as I've spent days scanning forums for similar issues.

previous system: G4 dual 867, 1 gig ram, audiophile 2496, powercore element, Logic 7.1
Current system: G5 dual 2 gig (pci-x), 3.5 gig ram, new audiophile 2496, powercore element, UAD-1, logic 7
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Dr. simonjbinks
post Tue 4 Apr 2006, 03:16
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,337

Please see my reply to seabass69:

Seabass069:

I had the Powercore #1. It was a peice of crap. It slowed down my G5 2x2 (Logic Pro -2.5 gig RAM, MOTU HD 192, latest updates and drivers, etc) and I got nothing but crackles and pops. I tried sorting it out with TC online but these guys are pricks - one in particular. It seems they have a company policy never to admit to a problem until they have a fix.

After months of hagggling, noise and slow computing, Sweetwater, from whom I purchased it, offered a complete refund. Note that Sweetwater did but TC didn't.

The effects aren't that great. I found myself using Space Designer more than either of the TC reverbs and after the M5000, the reverbs were why I bought the PowerCore in the first place.

Now that it's out of my system, my computer is much, much faster - more tracks, more effects - I can run 4 or 5 Space Designers and 30 or 40 tracks. Maybe more - I haven't reached a limit.

I'm not sure if they fixed the proglem with PowerCore 2 but I find it interesting that Sweetwater offered a complete refund, not a replacement with a P/C 2.

My advise? Don't even walk past the TC office. You're likely to catch something.

The PowerCore is a good idea poorly excecuted. The TC online help are a bad team due for execution.

Simon Binks

This post has been edited by Dr. simonjbinks: Tue 4 Apr 2006, 03:20
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 20:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008