MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Voice Compressor For Logic Silver, Looking for a compressor for Logic
I need a c(better) Compressor for voice
I need a c(better) Compressor for voice
I´m doing a radio comercials on my G4 Mac OS 09 and I can not get a great deep crispy voice sound on that compressor on my Logic Cilver. Do any one have a answer HOW ?? Do I need extra compressor.Bjarni / Iceland [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 0
Guests cannot vote 
bjarnidagur
post Wed 2 Feb 2005, 11:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,226

I´m doing a radio comercials on my G4 Mac OS 09 and I can not get a great deep crispy voice sound on that compressor on my Logic Cilver. Do any one have a answer HOW ?? Do I need extra compressor.

Bjarni / Iceland
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
prrcomm
post Fri 4 Feb 2005, 18:50
Post #2

Member No.: 47,587

Bjarni:

A compressor is not going to make your sound "deep" or "crisp". That all lies particularly with your microphone, then your preamp and whatever equalization you're using. What mic are you using?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 5 Feb 2005, 02:15
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Yes, what's your Mic/pre, how is the place you're recording with?

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
jeffca
post Sat 5 Feb 2005, 04:32
Post #4

Member No.: 41,142

Regardless of your mic/pre combo, if you are using a single band compressor, add a little low shelve EQ before the compressor (+3db@250hz) to get the low end considered by the compressor. That may get you toward what your looking for.

Then add another 3db@200hz or 150hz after and see how that sounds. Depending on how much compression you're using, you will want to alter the EQ settings on either side to get the low end presence you desire. 4:1 at a -25 threshold is a place to start (yes, with make-up gain).

If you use this method or something like it to bolster the low end of a voice track, you'd be well advised to run a steep (36db/octave) hi-pass filter at the end of the chain at 80hz or so whether or not you had a hi-pass on the mic or pre. In a pinch, cascade a couple 12db/octave filters in Logic.

This, of course, is just like a cookbook: you have to make adjustments depending on your ingredients. As far as getting a "crisp" sound is concerned, you may find that the vocals sound more than crispy enough after compressing them. Unless your mic is a bit dull sounding, go easy on th EQ over 3khz. If you do hi EQ, it's safer to do it after the compressor (if you want a "crisp" sound, that is). Then again, that may not work. You may need to try your high EQ pre or post compressor.

A couple weeks ago, I spent 10 hours trying to get my Countryman headset mic to sound like my Shure KSM32. I use Cubase SX3 as my DAW and it's compressors and de-essers failed. The fantastic Sony Oxford Dynamics plug failed. I messed around with TC's Master X5 for a few minutes, but realized it was the wrong tool. Finally, I spent about 7 hours running the signal into a DBX Quantum. After going through all of its algorithms, I struck upon a combination of EQ, 4-band expansion and compression that sounded pretty good.

The character of the sound still had that "close-to-the-mouth" sound that any headset mic would. Hey, now that I think about it, a gentle expander (1.5:1 or so) set @-10db might start getting those vocals pulled away from my mouth. Wow! God damn, I love this stuff. It keeps you on your toes.

Anyway, Bjarni, this may or may not have helped you, but I hope you gained insight on the concept of what you're trying to do. The big thing when working with any process is understanding the concept and its ramifications. Get your brain wrapped around each step and try to anticipate that step's results. Audio engineering is like chemistry: sometimes the most fantastic things come from mistakes.

Good luck.

Jeff

PS - a great realtime analyzer (Inspector) is available from ElementalAudio.com. If you want to see what your tracks are doing, this freeware is invaluable.

This post has been edited by jeffca: Sat 5 Feb 2005, 04:49

+Quote Post
null-neun
post Wed 6 Apr 2005, 16:43
Post #5

Member No.: 63,614

for tv or radio ad voices i use maxxbass, limiter, exciter, a short reverb, and of course noisegate or expander and compressor.
now you only must find out how to use them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 10 May 2024, 11:07
- © MacMusic 1997-2008