MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> NAMM: Presonus FIREPOD Firewire I/O Brings Tubes to FireWire, Audio Hardware
_news_
post Fri 30 Jan 2004, 20:13
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

NAMM: Presonus FIREPOD Firewire I/O Brings Tubes to FireWire
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lepetitmartien
post Wed 4 Feb 2004, 20:27
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

QUOTE (macyu @ Feb 2 2004, 09:49)
Until I see the new and improved mlan protocol used by the newest of Yamaha gear, I'd have to say that mlan was only good in theory, and ended up very messy in implementation.

For your information, the demo booth of Yamaha at NAMM was all mLAN wired. And it worked.

The problems with mLAN is that products and softwares are slow to come in but it's going faster now. The Firewire 800 will be the start factor I think.
The FirePOD does have tubes.  In the specs, it says "Eight class A mic preamps."  Class-A refers to the tube amplification design.

Class A refers to the amplification design (A, B or AB)

A is small amplification, high fidelity, low distortion
B is high gain, low fidelity, distortion
AB is a mixup and sits in the middle.

You can make tube design in A, AB or B…
As you can make bad tube designs…

And there's no tubes in the Firepod… tongue.gif wink.gif

Now swilder, mLAN is developped on top of FireWire because FW is only a "tubing" it move data, there's nothing "more" to it which is bot enough for the purpose of mLAN. MLAN provides support to efficiently move MIDI, DIgital Audio and Digital Video over FW, with timing under scrutiny as FW is not real time. It secures FW for these applications.

And it allows users to get rid of some cables too…

Now the slow rise come from many things… Apple used FW only 5 years afters creating it, Yamaha even if present from the begining took 8-9 years to start demoing something working and a couples years more to issue products. 14 years now after the start of FW at Apple other companies are catching up, and I believe it's important, controler chips for FW are less expensive (guess why there's more USB out there than FW? Even if USB is definetly NOT taylored for real time and audio streams.)

MLAN is coming from Yamaha but others have joined…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- news   NAMM: Presonus FIREPOD Firewire I/O Brings Tubes to FireWire   Fri 30 Jan 2004, 20:13
- - djfera   Bad link???   Fri 30 Jan 2004, 20:13
- - Nels   The link worked fine for me. .....You need Real On...   Fri 30 Jan 2004, 20:20
- - azusa   Finally, Presonus wise up and stay away from mLan...   Sat 31 Jan 2004, 02:12
- - Nels   If you're saying that you think mLan looks pre...   Sat 31 Jan 2004, 03:08
- - macyu   basically, the presonus firestation used mlan, but...   Sat 31 Jan 2004, 04:51
- - Nels   So, overall, ...are you pro or con when it comes t...   Sat 31 Jan 2004, 04:57
- - Macca   This would be really nice, but for now wishfull th...   Mon 2 Feb 2004, 09:30
- - macyu   Nels: Until I see the new and improved mlan protoc...   Mon 2 Feb 2004, 09:49
- - dmrkh   Okay, I need some clarification here. It was my u...   Wed 4 Feb 2004, 05:06
- - macyu   mLan is a protocol that you can run on top of Fire...   Wed 4 Feb 2004, 09:53
- - Nels   But, is mLan something I want to stay away from? ...   Wed 4 Feb 2004, 17:18
- - swilder   I am by no means an expert on the subject. But I t...   Wed 4 Feb 2004, 18:19
- - macyu   ah sorry for the mis-information. I'm no elec...   Thu 5 Feb 2004, 06:49
- - Nels   swilder, Your voice of conviction is admirable, b...   Thu 5 Feb 2004, 07:30
- - dmrkh   Actually meant to type "iLink", as in th...   Fri 6 Feb 2004, 07:46
- - macyu   ok, the thing about mlan is that it's just a l...   Fri 6 Feb 2004, 09:02

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 29 Jun 2024, 16:34
- © 440 Forums 2011