MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Mac Routers
drewthescot
post Wed 3 May 2006, 23:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,140

What is the best router for my new mini mac.To get it to tal;k to a PC with windows?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
deaconblue
post Fri 12 May 2006, 14:19
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,156

my recommendation would be a netgear router. They have both wired and wireless. Both offer browser based management and auto detection of firmware updates. Also, their tech support rocks. Support is my main deciding factor on technology, only because electronics fail. Not always, but...

Their Model WGU624 is exceptionally good and covers a good range, both indoors and out (and has both encryption and MAC address access lists so only you can work you network). If you are using a dynamic hosting service (like dyndns.com or others) to have a home based web presence, the current crop of netgear routers can handle that for you as well. If you are 'not supposed' to have more than one machine using your net based upon your ISPs rules/regs, all of the mentioned routers will allow you to publish the MAC address of a computer on your subnet so the ISP sees a Computer at the end of their node versus a router.

I have used D-Link, Linksys, MacSense and Netgear over the years (too many to want to count) and have found the Netgear to be more reliable. I have a netgear wired hub that I bought almost 10 years ago that is still working. I'd still be using it myself, but I wanted wireless access points and my MiL needed a hub for her office.

Just another opinion. Good luck with your choice. Price and feature are truly deciding factors for this one, but for interoperabilty (especially with you Mac), tech support and reliability, I would recommend Netgear.

peace

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 9 Jun 2024, 13:20
- © MacMusic 1997-2008