MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Imac G5 Fan Noise, hooking fw devices, inerfaces, HD
camarao
post Wed 3 Nov 2004, 18:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,995

Hi,

I´ve ordered an Imac G5 1,8 17" with 2gb ram and a Lacie 200gb firewire disk and Logic Pro 7 .
I´ve read in the Apple discussion forums some big problems about the fan noise. It scared me because I want a silent computer ( I´m a PC user, you know...). I even heard the noise thru some audio files that were posted, and it was like a very, very annoying whine/buzz! It was terrible.
Yesterday I was to the store to pick up my Imac, but before paying and bringing it to home , I tried the Imac in the store and... there was that terrible noise! It´s not a very loud noise, but it´s very annoying, like a constant dentist drill... I didn´t brought it home! You have to wait a few minutes and you have to push the cpu to the limit to hear the noise. But after that the horrible sound is always there.
Meanwhile, I have a friend who has an Imac G5 20", and so I was running to his place to try the noise in his computer. The results : "quiet as a whisper" as Aplle claims. I´ve heard that this problem is more common in the 17" model.
So, I have some questions to you :

1- Did you heard about this ?
2 - Do you confirm that the noise is more common in the 17" model?
3- If I buy the 20" model, which has a 160gb disk, do you think I still need the Lacie firewire drive ( I will buy a M-Audio Audiophile Firewire ) ? Is the partition of the internal 160gb disk enough in terms of velocity power ( the space is enough for me) ?
4- Are there some kind of problems by having a firewire disk and a firewire soundcard in the same computer ( thru different connections) ?

I would appreciate your help, since this costs a lot of money and it´s a big decision for me ( it´s my first Mac).

Best vibes...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
PhilTrueman
post Wed 3 Nov 2004, 18:38
Post #2

Member No.: 5,388

Hi camarao,

Welcome to Mac and welcome to MacMusic.

Over in the UK there has been a problem with the 17" iMac due to faulty power supplies. This appears as a 'crackling' sound when the machine is running - I don't know if this is what you're referring to. Apple will swap out the power supply if you contact your supplier.
I recommend you get the 20" model anyway if you can afford it - if you're running LogicPro 7 you'll need all the screen real estate you can get. laugh.gif

The Lacie firewire drive is a good buy - I have one and although I use mine for backing up - it would serve as a great drive for loops and samples.

Sorry I can't answer your last question - all my Firewire ports are used for Video. All my outboard audio gear is analogue. rolleyes.gif

Good on ya

PT

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 05:34
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The problem affects only certain units (I don't remember if it's the 17 or the 20"), anyway it's only some units, not all.

Now it's easily solved by a DIY changing of the power unit, sent by Apple with a how-to step by step. At least in Europe. It takes minutes…

Now, we understand it's a bit of a back off to buy a new computer supposedly top of the bunch and to hear about THAT. laugh.gif this problem has affected Dell computers too (if I remember well) so it's more a problem of quality service at the south east contractant… But it shouldn't happen! angry.gif

Concerning one of your other points, you can use the internal drive only, but it'll be better to put your audio files in another drive, that is outside and a mandatory firewire for this one.

Note that you can eventually hack the Open Firmware of the iMac and enable the 2nd monitor (Apple, it's just plain stupid this trick…) and have that way 2 monitors provided you have another one around wink.gif the trick at Heise.de (file thru ftp)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
camarao
post Thu 4 Nov 2004, 18:56
Post #4

Member No.: 52,995

Thank you , guys!

I´ve already ordered an 20" Imac G5. But I will not buy the Lacie disk. That´s because the 20" is more expensive...

Should I partition the 160 gb Imac disk?

Thank you again!

+Quote Post
fastlanephil
post Fri 5 Nov 2004, 03:45
Post #5

Member No.: 10,225

What I have read is there is no advantage to partitioning the internal HD in OSX .

+Quote Post
chmara
post Fri 5 Nov 2004, 07:44
Post #6

Member No.: 51,447

If you can still change your order the 250 Gig disc for $100 more (no need to partition) and keep daily back-ups the performance difference on the IMac is substantial with full GPO & Synths at hand in Logic 7 and GB.

AND, if under apple care -- it is covered if initial factory install.

+Quote Post
fastlanephil
post Fri 5 Nov 2004, 07:50
Post #7

Member No.: 10,225

There are some postings about iMac G5 fan noise on Macintouch. The iMac G5 fans can be faulty and make a high pitched whine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 24 Sep 2024, 11:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008