MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Farewell to G4, Apple
_news_
post Tue 2 Dec 2003, 20:56
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Farewell to G4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marcmarc
post Tue 2 Dec 2003, 20:56
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,614

HUHUHU! A good friend is gone HUHU

+Quote Post
boze
post Wed 3 Dec 2003, 17:47
Post #3

Member No.: 24,676

Today wonderful G5 is here and G4 is discretely waving goodbye...
some grammar mistakes here.

I'm sorry but the tongue-in-cheek 'fond farewell' angle _totally misses me. The G4 hasn't been a modern system on a modern mobo with up-to-date hw in about two years. Until this summer- no wait, i mean this _fall (my bad, summer was when you could _order a G5s but they didn't ship until maybe three months after that, right?) a G4 tower was the best the Apple store had to offer.

While some folks may have fond memories of spending an extra two or more years in OS9 after OSX came out and watching the Apple/Motorola relationship hold back their desktops while wintel machines raced to speeds of 3ghz, I thought it was lame. The G5 was long-awaited but imo that's because the G4 outstayed it's welcome by over a year while Apple lurched away from Moto to the new IBM chip. What I'm saying is the long run the G4 had was something the Mac community _suffered not enjoyed (in the sense that the community as a whole is waiting out the G4- I'm not saying each of us is feeling discomfort or anything like that). Nowhere is rustiness of the G4 as evident as in the Mac notebook line which still offers only G4s and benefits not at all from the dual processor technology that helped the G4 towers stay afloat. Who here _doesn't know somebody who's literally waiting for a G5 powerbook?

Being a Mac person has sweetness and sourness to it like anything else, but the 4+years of the G4 tower and the Moto G4 chips was something Apple was _forced to do by sourcing all it's chips from a company that had too much invested in embedded technology (tiny weak chips that go in watches and toasters and microwaves and machinery) to develop the kind of hot inefficient chip that would have suited desktop and notebook computers. The result was a period of several years where the entire Mac community was forced to champion arguments about 'elegance' and 'user experience' because frankly they were getting their asses kicked in measurable terms like performance.

I'm sure everyone here has either heard the argument or made the argument that goes like this: "I'm faster on a Mac even if it's not the absolute fastest piece of hardware out there, and what's most important is that I'm productive and comfortable." And while this is completely true, it's not the kind of distinction you're looking to make when your computer's performance specs are competitive. To wit, Apple's slogan for the G5 campaign: "The World's Fastest, Most Powerful Personal Computer."

This post has been edited by boze: Wed 3 Dec 2003, 17:54

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 4 Dec 2003, 14:45
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

We always need volonteers to help making MM a better place wink.gif everyone is free to join either to correct, translate, help the soft tracker (WE REALLY NEED PEOPLE THERE)…

G4 may be obsolete, but it's a good computer, people can get used too. We have glimpses of the future, just it isn't 100% here yet (we need G5 optimized software, some things in Panther are still annoying, but it's some GUI refinement and 64bits, the rest rocks).

And G4 is not totally dead… it sells still by full trains wink.gif but the end is coming slowly yet it'll come. Certainly next year. cool.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
boze
post Thu 4 Dec 2003, 15:59
Post #5

Member No.: 24,676

I just wrote a friend of mine who's a Mac person who's native is English and he's fluent in English and French. He's not really an active board user, but I'd asked him before and he's interested in helping out- maybe translating a few articles into English here and there.

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Fri 5 Dec 2003, 13:19
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I won't be saying farewell to my G4 for a while yet. Still plenty fast enough for me to do what I want and keep pace with ace plugs like Atmosphere.

From what I've heard, there are also enough teething problems for audio pros with the G5s, so it's something of a false dawn.

I've still got a G3 laptop, too. Why, it's almost retro computing now. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 14:55
- © 440 Forums 2011