MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Tascam FW-1884: firewire, audio, midi, and faders..., Audio Hardware
_news_
post Wed 1 Oct 2003, 13:43
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Tascam FW-1884: firewire, audio, midi, and faders...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
marcuspocus
post Wed 1 Oct 2003, 13:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,518

I think it look pretty good. For the price, you get alot of functionnalities. It's also portable (in a sense that it will work with any PC or MAC that has firewire) so it future proof in that way considering G5 pci incompatibilities, laptop, etc...

I just ordered one, hope it's gonna live up to my expectations! smile.gif

+Quote Post
marcuspocus
post Fri 3 Oct 2003, 12:30
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,518

Well, i got it yesterday.

It's perfect, better thatn i tough.

I use it in conjonction with Creamware Scope system, which provide for all fx using inserts on the fw-1884, plus aux fx routing thru adat io, and drive all scope midi automation from the 4 midiports integrated on the fw-1884.

+ i get the control surface for my sequecer, which work pretty good. I compared the handling with the Radikal SAC2.2, and it's pretty similar.

Not having scribble strip is a bit annoying at start, but i'm already used to all the controls, so i do not really need it.

The faders are really fast and responsive, without creating too much noise, although when it goes all the way down, you can ear a small "clack" when they hit the bottom.

The pres are alot better than i was expecting, they are clearer than my Art DPS pre. Well, it's true my ART DPS is a tube preamp, which usually add some noise and coloration, but still.

I found the WDM driver was a bit weak, there was a bit of clicks and pops at low latency setting (3ms) but the second a passed the 13ms, they were working flawlessly. The asio driver are better, i could use all 18 channels with latency set at 3ms, which is pretty good if you ask me smile.gif

Anyway, i will not use the 'audio interface' functionnality of fw-1884, i use the SCOPE asio driver, which is alot more flexible (64 channels of 32bits asio2 @ 1.5ms latency, and totally and freely routable is hard to beat).

I use the FW-1884 primarily for monitoring purpose, as a control surface also, and last, but not least, as a pretty damn good 8 channels of AD/DA including 8 mic pres smile.gif smile.gif

Love this unit!

+Quote Post
_Kyra_
post Tue 23 Dec 2003, 03:15
Post #4

Visitors

Could you tell me what kind of computer and sequencer you are running?

Kyra

+Quote Post
_Guest_
post Fri 26 Dec 2003, 12:55
Post #5

Visitors

I use a PC , P4-2.53ghz, 512Meg PC1066 RDRAM (rambus), with 2 creamware audio cards, + the fw-1884 and Nuendo2.1

Everything is perfect.

I did a live gig last week using this setup. 9 musicians (14 inputs recorded live on 14 tracks for 'post remix'

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 24 Jun 2024, 13:03
- © 440 Forums 2011