MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Usb Hub With Macpro Music Studio Gear
frostgfx
post Fri 1 Aug 2014, 00:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 124,047

Greetings:

I need to connect an external USB hub with my MacPro to add additional ports for all the USB ported gear (keyboard/mouse, Steinberg UR28M Interface, Steinberg Key (Nuendo 6.5, Cubase 7.5, Halion, etc.), (iLok Key for various plug-ins), USB client thumb drives, JBL Monitor system control, and who knows what else I might need going forward.

Everything needs to be connected at all times for my workflow. I am concerned that there might be an issue with some items connected directly to ports on the MacPro, and others connected to a USB Hub.

Does anyone have any guidance on this issue? The MacPro has 5 USB 2.0 ports (3 rear and 2 front).
Also, are there some USB hubs that work better than others with the MacPro USX 10.7.5.

Namaste,

Jon Frost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Fri 1 Aug 2014, 16:21
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

hi jon,
i've got a mac pro tower running with tons of music peripherals and software, and had a similar need.
i settled on a powered USB hub, one that's plugged into the computer directly, and also wall wart powered.
i'm not at the studio right now, so can't give you the model, but it was a generic device with good Amazon reviews. long story short, no problems at all. i've got the iLok, USB keyboards, iphone sync, and REASON dongle plugged into it 24/7 and it's performed flawlessly for several years.

+Quote Post
frostgfx
post Sun 3 Aug 2014, 15:22
Post #3

Member No.: 124,047

QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Fri 1 Aug 2014, 11:21) *
hi jon,
i've got a mac pro tower running with tons of music peripherals and software, and had a similar need.
i settled on a powered USB hub, one that's plugged into the computer directly, and also wall wart powered.
i'm not at the studio right now, so can't give you the model, but it was a generic device with good Amazon reviews. long story short, no problems at all. i've got the iLok, USB keyboards, iphone sync, and REASON dongle plugged into it 24/7 and it's performed flawlessly for several years.

I got my USB powered 12 port hub from my ham radio shack and it seems to work just fine after plugging it in… Now I have plenty of ports for the present and future. Thanks,

Jon

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 12:03
- © MacMusic 1997-2008