MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Korg M50, news
_News_
post Sun 14 Sep 2008, 08:34
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Korg M50
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Okratron 5000
post Sun 14 Sep 2008, 08:34
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,925

Who's buying keyboard workstations these days?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 16 Sep 2008, 05:24
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Given the number of models the "big ones" are throwing at us, it must be a market of some sort… Now remember that there's usually very few steps up of new tech into them at each new model, in fact most if not all the inside is based on chips around for years usually so the costs are way down and the keyboards profitable (especially when you read PCM).

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Wed 17 Sep 2008, 04:54
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

There are alot of working musicians who really like to use a workstation in conjunction with a computer (the computer is great for sequencing which can be saved to the workstation for live use) that stays at home. Remember....Korg hit serious paydirt with the Triton Workstation.....there is a lot of what is current popular R&B and Hip Hop made with the Triton....great sounds at the tip of one's fingers, a whole bunch of tweakablilty and (most importantly) STABILITY...I don't hear much about gigs getting blown because someone's workstation keyboard crashed. Does this make me want one? Nah....I like my MacBookPro as an all in one answer but, if you are a gigging keyboard player who makes a living at it, one of those would be invaluable.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

+Quote Post
elwoodblues1969
post Fri 3 Oct 2008, 05:09
Post #5

Member No.: 103,926

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm living amongst a new generation,but holy JUDAS PRIEST man-what planet to you people hail from?!!
Most of you here are clearly too consumed by the computer age,because the comments here are stunningly ignorant...unless of course,some of you are just being smart*sses?

Are you people seriously questioning whether or not there is a market for workstations?Ummm...who's buying workstations,you ask?I'll enlighten you...anyone & everyone who needs convenience,portability,stability & the ablity to lay down ideas & even complete,polished songs,without the need to boot up,or worry about compatability issues & such.

Excuse me-what?All the chips inside keyboard workstations are old?Outdated?Archaic maybe?Allow me to fill you in on a world you've never set foot in;

A good example of the latest technology in workstations,would be the Kurzweil PC3 series.Kurzweil has designed,engineered & manufactured micro-processing chips in thier keyboards that are the fastest in the industry,hands down.
Some interesting specs for you pc mongers: V.A.S.T. synthesis engine-the most powerful & flexible synth engine ever created,offering limitless sound creation possiblitiies that will rival any computer software.

The most authentic & pristine sample based ROM on the planet,providing unmatched quality with acoustic sounds,such as strings,pianos,organs etc.,.
16 insert effects with an effects processor that is among the best in the industry.YOU NEED SEQUENCING?Yes,the Kurzweil PC3 series has UNLIMITED midi sequencer tracks.

Also for you pc mongers: the Kurzweil PC3 is also a MIDI controller.So ummm...how much did you people spend for your softsynth set up?
The Kurzweil 88-key PC3 is $2,999.95(USD) & the 76-key is $1,999.95(USD) at Zzounds.com (the most reasonably priced retailer I've found).

Just some food for thought,because most of you people are in dire need of it,because you're clueless!

I have nothing against computer music mind you,as it has some advantages & some appealing options & features to it(I began dabbling into this area),but don't discard a subject you know little or nothing about.

I'm a hardcore hardware gear guy,but at least I'm open minded enough to expand myself further,by venturing into other areas of gear.
I belong to a musician's music forum that is teeming with hardcore pc users,but even these people have enough common sense to realize the benefits & options of hardware gear.

-Elwood

www.kara-moon.com

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 4 Oct 2008, 01:27
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Hello elwood, mind not all around are computer freaks. I am one, but a hardcore hardware synth guru too, i even worked in the industry in my humble way. wink.gif

The main issue here is we can see the accumulation of workstations by the big synth manufacturers, but not that much novelty there, unfortunately. Kurzweil has always been a challenger proposing something very different. But the "big" names (the real size of korg is way less than Yam) are rarely in this way of thinking (it happens to korg but to come back to normal soon).

Hardware gear is way more reliable than computers still and will be for years to come. But it doesn't mean new gear is always interesting, when I see the M50 I yawn. sad.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 4 Oct 2008, 06:47
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

Dudes....I said this in an earlier post....CRUNK is the TRITON workstation. I don't use em but I sure as hell understand em.

BTW: anyone wanna buy a pristine Korg X3 workstation? (half kidding here)

+Quote Post
elwoodblues1969
post Sat 4 Oct 2008, 08:46
Post #8

Member No.: 103,926

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Sat 4 Oct 2008, 02:27) *
Hello elwood, mind not all around are computer freaks. I am one, but a hardcore hardware synth guru too, i even worked in the industry in my humble way. wink.gif

The main issue here is we can see the accumulation of workstations by the big synth manufacturers, but not that much novelty there, unfortunately. Kurzweil has always been a challenger proposing something very different. But the "big" names (the real size of korg is way less than Yam) are rarely in this way of thinking (it happens to korg but to come back to normal soon).

Hardware gear is way more reliable than computers still and will be for years to come. But it doesn't mean new gear is always interesting, when I see the M50 I yawn. sad.gif

Hi Martien,

You bring up some vaild points & I see where you're coming from,but do companies in the pc world consistently turn out novel products?
From what I've researched thus far-yes,there is some amazing software out there,but alot of it is not cheap & the computer you would need to run some of these programs is not cheap either.
Also,unlike hardware gear,software is non-returnable-in the event you did not get what you thought you paid for and that's downright frightening! blink.gif

However though,I do love the option of buying an M-Audio Axiom 49-key & utilizing the open source software that's available for free(SynAddSubFX,Crystal & H.G. Fortune) and importing all this into my Cubase LE that I recieved for free(with purchase of my Zoom 8HD).
This was the deciding factor with me getting involved in the realm of pc recording,which I plan to undertake soon.
Interestingly enough,it was actually the Korg M50 that made me first think about using softsynths,because of the computer integration options,such as an editor librarian,100 control templates,Karma software etc.,.

What you have to understand about the Korg M50,is that it's much older predacessor-the Korg M1,was a exceptional sequencing tool at the time,but it only had 1 insert effect & terrible sounds(for the most part) AND THE M1 WAS AROUND $700 MORE THAN THE CURRENT M50.Do you see where I'm going with this?
The M1 did not have 16 insert effects,nor any decent electronic synth sounds,no Karma software option,no computer integration,no arpeggiators and so on.....see what I mean?

Yes,the Korg M50 is-for the most part,is a closed box in terms of expandability & real in-depth sound creation & the piano sounds are pathetic,but as far as budget workstations go-and I must emphasize the term BUDGET workstations,this particular keyboard workstation has the most to offer in this price range,hands down.
Essentially,I think the M50 was designed primarily to replace & upgrade from the previous TR series-which Korg has done remarkably well-FOR THE SAME DAMN PRICE...that's really amazing to me & this is the very concept you people have to realize.

The real problem I have with people trashing the Korg M50,is that some of the people who do this,are comparing the M50 with $2800 8-core MacPro's & $500 software...you can't do that...you can't compare apples to oranges.

On the other hand,there are indeed,quite a few workstations out there that are far less than a novelty and actually,they are disasterpieces...such as the Roland Fantom series..the old Fantoms have terrible sounds & the new Fantom series have more tech issues than a magazine subscription-and the programs sound like *ss!
The Alesis Fusion is another train-wreck of a keyboard also and of course Yamaha...everything prior to the Motif XS series,has consistently sucked *ss...in a real big way.

Yes indeedy...you certainly have to do your homework to find a unique & useful keyboard workstation,but at least you can return them if you don't like them. wink.gif

QUOTE (mortalengines @ Sat 4 Oct 2008, 07:47) *
Dudes....I said this in an earlier post....CRUNK is the TRITON workstation. I don't use em but I sure as hell understand em.

BTW: anyone wanna buy a pristine Korg X3 workstation? (half kidding here)

M.E.,

I did notice you're earlier post,but I just wanted to elaborate on your points further,because I have 21 years experience with Korgs and I still have my Korg Triton Extreme and it still kicks *ss!!
I also have an Alesis Ion...which is a mofo in the studio as well! cool.gif

I'm always looking to expand though,as I am a confirmed gear slut. blink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 25 Apr 2024, 15:04
- © 440 Forums 2011