MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mbox2 First impressions, Article
_articles_
post Mon 10 Apr 2006, 11:13
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Mbox2 First impressions
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
post Mon 10 Apr 2006, 11:13
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,159

How low can you set the buffer size for the Mbox 2, both within ProTools and in other software? Is it finally possible to get playable (for softsynths etc) latency on the Mbox?

+Quote Post
edge100
post Mon 10 Apr 2006, 14:51
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

A very fair and balanced review. Thanks!

I particularly liked this statement:

"My stand on this subject is that for audio interfaces in this price range, the microphone preamps have only one function: to power the mics."

Truer words were never spoken. People always argue about who makes the better mic pres in the $500-$750 audio interface range (Digi, Presonus, Focusrite, M-Audio, MOTU, Mackie), and the truth is this: they're all FINE. Even Behringer makes good pres these days. None of them will ADD anything to your sound, like a higher range pre will. And they will impart some of their own cloudiness onto your tone, but all in all, they do their job well, and you can make quality recordings with them.

The jumping off point for higher end pres is the FMR Really Nice Preamp or the DAV BG-1 (particularly the latter). Anything below that is basically the same. Stop worrying about it and make music.

+Quote Post
zoundman
post Mon 10 Apr 2006, 17:52
Post #4

Member No.: 55,094

The mBox 1 puts a great strain on the cpu. (at least mine does)
If you open a moderate session in protools with a few synths (G5 2x1.8 1.25 ram)
it will "choke" very easily. I think it's the drivers.
I can open "huge" sessions in LogicPro7 with the G5's built in audio and out the s/pdif.
I really hope the mBox 2 fixes these issues since I need to open Protools for some projects and the mBox 1 is sometimes useless.

+Quote Post
abcdaniel
post Mon 10 Apr 2006, 18:42
Post #5

Member No.: 22,159

zoundman, have you looked into the M-powered stuff from M-audio? i wonder how well they work... Anyone? Better or worse than the Mbox? Have been thinking about getting some firewire or PCI M-powered qualified audio card, but haven't got around to it yet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 25 Apr 2024, 14:28
- © MacMusic 1997-2008