MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IPod mini delayed, Apple
_news_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 13:22
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

IPod mini delayed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toontra
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 13:22
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,073

It's sad that Apple have messed up so much in their 20th aniversary year! Both of Steve's last two major keynote speeches have actually drawn gasps of disapointment from the audiences due to their lack of content, concentrating on superficial design changes and, in my opinion, gimmicky "lifestyle" software rather than new & innovative products.

The big screw-up was his promise last year for 3G processors in the G5 PMs. He wasn't able to keep that promise & now looks rather foolish, & sales (me for one) will suffer. Combined with the debacle over the iMac production and this rediculous wait for European customers, both for the IMS and perticularly the mini iPods, this has been a very bad year indeed.

Let's hope for better in the remaining months, but I'm not holding my breath.

+Quote Post
_Guest Web GuY_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 16:03
Post #3

Visitors

When the iPod mini was first announced everyone thought it was overpriced by about $50 and wouldn't sell. Everyone claimed Jobs had lost his business sense and this would have been something that could sell.

Well it turns out that they were all wrong. The iPod mini is a big hit. It has taken off and it is still very difficult to get in the US.

Why should it be easier to buy on the other side of the ocean? Perhaps Jobs is underpricing this very hot item.

+Quote Post
_jdb_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 16:23
Post #4

Visitors

It is a 4 week delay for everyone, not just Europe. I just tried to order a iPod mini a couple of days ago from Apple's US online store and I was quoted a 4 week delivery date too.

The problem is that Apple can't get the parts it needs. It is a single source supplier and there is nothing they can do about it until the production ramps up to meet demand.

+Quote Post
_Jack A_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 17:25
Post #5

Visitors

Having such heavy demand for their products that they are having trouble filling orders is a high quality problem but a problem never the less. Hopefully Apple will be able to iron out the parts supply problems.

All I can say though is that I have some apple products and it is worth the wait.

+Quote Post
_Guest_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 18:09
Post #6

Visitors

Bah - I *live* in the US; I frequent Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target and other electronics stores, and I've never even SEEN an iPod mini in a store or in anyone's possession. This "heavy demand" story is wearing a bit thin.

+Quote Post
_dopy_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 18:54
Post #7

Visitors

QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 11 2004, 18:09)
Bah - I *live* in the US; I frequent Fry's, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target and other electronics stores, and I've never even SEEN an iPod mini in a store or in anyone's possession. This "heavy demand" story is wearing a bit thin.

Maybe because the ipod mini is mini smile.gif
I am ordering one. And also airport express. Finally surround DTS on my mac!!

+Quote Post
_stingerman_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 20:13
Post #8

Visitors

It's the Hitachi Hard drive stupid. Apple is using all they can get. That means no one else is getting them either. So it's either the iPod Mini or nothing else. The competitors could not handle 1/10th the demand.

+Quote Post
_sb_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 20:17
Post #9

Visitors

I've not only seen minis in the wild, but have purchased one as a gift for my gf. It wasn't a big deal, walked into the Apple Store and they had two colors in stock, one of which was the right color for her.

They sell quick, but they also constantly get new inventory, you just have to get there at the right time on the right day.

+Quote Post
_rbelkin_
post Sun 11 Jul 2004, 20:37
Post #10

Visitors

I think you are definitely a glass half full person and taking a pessimistic viewpoint from any vantage point ...

From a business perspective ...
It's better to have people clamoring for something rather than like Dell - having so many in the warehouse they have to take a loss on selling it (and of course mailing them in your ipod).

And from a personal viewpoint, doesn't 'scoring/landing' one make you feel even better about your purchase? (not that you shouldn't already be happy).

And right now, there are not a lot of products that you can turn around and sell for sometimes TWICE what you paid for it - if you wanted to ...

This isn't a matter of failed forecasting - simply the fact that they cannot make enough tiny HHD's - and Apple is actually in a great position - when you have a product that is clearly superior - people will wait for it ... and unlike some other companies - Apple hasn't raised the price to gouge people - in fact, the European version is priced lower than the initial announcement!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 21 Sep 2024, 09:16
- © 440 Forums 2011