MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LP recording tips with Griffin iMic, Article
_articles_
post Wed 2 Jun 2004, 11:07
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

LP recording tips with Griffin iMic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RazielPanic
post Wed 2 Jun 2004, 11:07
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,588

Don't set the EQ levels 'to taste'. there is a complex and specific encoding imposed on records known as the RIAA Curve (see http://www.tanker.se/lidstrom/riaa.htm for details) which this software is capable of decoding properly. Let it.

+Quote Post
lee_story
post Tue 6 Jul 2004, 15:39
Post #3

Member No.: 9,374

The greatest problem I encounter in recording from vinyl is getting rid of clicks caused by scratches, even in very lightly-played LPs. They often seem much more prominent once the recording is transferred to hard disk or CD, and manually removing them in Peak, Spark, or DP can be many hours of work. "Final Vinyl" isn't helpful there. DP4 doesn't include one, either. The cheapest way to get a de-clicker for OSX (that I know of) is to buy Toast Titanium. (It's in "Spin Doctor".) Pro-quality ones run US $500 up! I'm a bit surprised that no audio developer seems to have done a simple VST or AU plugin.

This post has been edited by lee_story: Tue 6 Jul 2004, 15:40

+Quote Post
_iMike_
post Wed 7 Jul 2004, 16:52
Post #4

Visitors

According to the Read Me file that comes with Final Vinyl, the RIAA curve is applied to the recording when the "connected to turntable" button in the EQ window is selected. This assumes that your turntable is indeed connected directly to the iMic.

+Quote Post
garzita
post Sun 1 Aug 2004, 10:13
Post #5

Member No.: 44,578

I am sorry but I tried iMic 2 times, I got it and got nothing but snap, crackle and pop in the mix. I exchanged for a new one and same thing. I ended up giving it away!

I then tried an Edirol USB Audio interface and same thing, so I want and got a new digital mixer that I used as a Pre Amp and still I got those annoying sounds in the background.

After posting my problems in other websites I got the response I was looking for:

* USB Audio interfaces are useless, firewire is the way to go!

well, thanx for the heads up Griffin Tech!!!

This post has been edited by garzita: Sun 1 Aug 2004, 10:13

--------------------
[COLOR=orange]
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask...

+Quote Post
_guest_Matty_
post Thu 12 Aug 2004, 03:13
Post #6

Visitors

angry.gif I have had so many damn problems with this device. The only software that seems to recognise it is griffin produced. I have tried it with Cubase SX, protools free and garage band. None recognised it as an input source, all programs would just reverted to the built in mic. Even though it was selected as the input source in the Sound Control Panel and was showing levels. Don't know what application this device has anymore. Even using final vinyl I couldn't get a good non-crackled-to-hell recording. And l also tried swapping it for another imic thinking it was faulty, but the two were identical.

+Quote Post
Presto
post Tue 7 Sep 2004, 21:50
Post #7

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

QUOTE (garzita @ Aug 1 2004, 11:13)
After posting my problems in other websites I got the response I was looking for:

* USB Audio interfaces are useless, firewire is the way to go!

Although I never got anything done with my imic, I'm quite satisfied with my Mbox. So I would totally disagree with the analysis you quote.

I also must confess I didn't try for long with the imic before discarding it. You can't expect it to act as a preamp or anything else that it wasn't built to do.

Thanks for the article. Its nice to hear what it can do.

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
lee_story
post Wed 8 Sep 2004, 15:28
Post #8

Member No.: 9,374

I must say I'm surprised at all the frustration with the iMic, and suspect that it's really frustration with various Mac configuration problems. I have a old Mac running 10.2.8 with a Sonnet G4/450 card, and use both the iMic and a PCI Audiophile 2496 card. At 16-bit/44.1K, the input quality is indistinguishable for all practical purposes. (Of course the 2496 is more flexible, has S/PDIF in and out, 24-bit sampling, etc.) The iMic actually seems _less_ sensitive to electrical noise than the 2496---which is to be expected, since the latter is a card on the PCI bus. I usually use the iMic further isolated from the machine by a Griffin USB Audio Hub (I suspect that any powered hub would do), but it also works okay straight in to my USB card. I've used it with DP4, Peak LE and DV, Spark, and various other programs. THey've all recognized it just fine. The only poor product I've seen from Griffin is their "Final Vinyl" program, and even that works. (It doesn't seem to be actively marketed any more.)
I have nothing to do with Griffin, but do think that their product is getting a bad rap here.

+Quote Post
Nathanael
post Fri 24 Sep 2004, 15:13
Post #9

Member No.: 51,738

Must pick up the kids, but had to get a quick word in agreeing with Newbie. Using a G3 iMac on OS10.3 I have had great results with the iMic and Peak LE. It did prefer being plugged directly into the computer rather than through my Belkin USB hub. More anon.

+Quote Post
Audra
post Sun 26 Sep 2004, 21:37
Post #10

Member No.: 51,893

Hi, I'm a newbie. I'm trying to run imic on a G3 PowerBook running system 9.2.2. I can't get the sound control panel to recognize the imic.

Any suggestions?

Also, what's a good freeware or shareware program to use for recording and playing with the imic?

Thanx in advance.

Audra

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 17:05
- © MacMusic 1997-2008