MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Behringer takes control, Computer Hardware
_news_
post Sun 18 Jan 2004, 18:42
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Behringer takes control
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlanAudio
post Sun 18 Jan 2004, 18:42
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,044

Unfortunately Behringer, like some other music companies, think they can get away with not properly supporting the Mac platform.

They simply make noises about 'working on it'.

I reluctantly bought a Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer, despite the fact that Behringer couldn't even suggest a way for me to upgrade the mixer's OS software via a Mac, or to store and recall settings in a Mac either. They offered no Mac version of their File Exchange software.

Hopefully GarageBand and Logic Express will attract so many musicians to the Mac platform that companies like Behringer simply can't get away with sidelining the platform any more.

+Quote Post
swilder
post Sun 18 Jan 2004, 19:33
Post #3

Member No.: 23,402

The Behringer stuff is always alluring because of the price. But every time I try a piece of their equipment, I'm very disappointed by the quality and performance. A friend of mine who is a pro sound guy got one of their dual 31 band EQs and it sounds like crap WHEN THE BYPASS IS ACTIVE. It sounds even worse when the EQ is switched in. Another friend got one of their 16 channel budget mixers. 8 mono plus 4 stereo tracks. The crosstalk between channels is extremely loud.

The only item from behringer that I've enjoyed using and found it worth every penny, is their 4 channel headphone amp. Each headphone channel has 3 headphone output, there's a main in/out and an aux in. Each channel can blend between the main and aux inputs. Each channel also has a mute and mono/stereo switch. This is the one Behringer piece that gets the job done as advertised and doesn't cost a fortune

I'm not saying buy or don't buy, just "Buyer Beware"

Scott

+Quote Post
AlanAudio
post Sun 18 Jan 2004, 21:27
Post #4

Member No.: 29,044

QUOTE (swilder @ Jan 18 2004, 18:33)
........every time I try a piece of their equipment, I'm very disappointed by the quality and performance............

To a large extent, I agree with you.

When I first came across their stuff, it seemed to cheap to be true, then I suggested one of their compressers for a client who was only willing to spend an unreasonably modest sum to solve a particular problem. When I tried it, I was very surprised at how well it worked. I'm used to using Calrec & Neve compressors, so I wouldn't for a minute expect it to remotely compare, but it was entirely suitable for the job and a perfect solution within the budget available. It's still in daily use five years on.

I've since tried a number of their products. The build quality is reasonable and the sonic quality isn't bad. I've encountered worse build quality on some more up-market brands.

For non-critical stuff the Behringer hardware I have used has served me very well. It's not the best I've used, but it hasn't ever let me down - although I do take care of my equipment.

The DDX 3216 was outstanding value for money. It offers far more than I can reasonably expect it to do for such a modest price. I don't expect it to last forever, but I bought it for a particular project and it's very well suited to that project and if it breaks, I accept that I'll probably have to throw it away and buy a replacement. But it's already paid for itself, so I have no complaints ..... apart from Behringers blind spot when it comes to supporting Macs.

+Quote Post
peterkirn
post Wed 21 Jan 2004, 14:22
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 8,113

I'm looking forward to this product. Keep in mind, you don't really NEED Mac software for most uses; thanks to OS X you can plug and play this like some of the other simple USB control surfaces. Just let it transmit whatever MIDI it is by default and program Live, Reason, etc. to receive that. (Think that's what LPM is saying in this article!)

Of course, customization is useful to some people so, yes, would be nice to have the software. The Apple and Emagic guys all use portable Behringer mixers, so maybe they can lean on them. :-)

Agreed, though, about the quality of some of their components, though there's worse-sounding hardware at the same price point and there are some gems to be found. But since USB controllers don't make sound . . . and this is appropriate, I think, for a non-motorized USB control surface that doesn't do anything else . . .

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 21 Jan 2004, 18:20
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

On Behringer itself I've learned a few things:

- Never ever use their EQs, NEVER
- Quality control is better on small mixers
- You have gear for the price you buy (in general, there are exceptions)
- First batch are better than the following (no rule)
- They don't like Macs.

Now better use a behringer product if you can't pay more for something else and it allows you to DO things wink.gif

Back to the control surfaces…

Like the DDX, Mac support is limited (don't count on a DDX support on mac… they never promissed it and a mail exchange I had with a guy at Behringer at the time was clear on only one thing: they don't care). What I was saying is if you don't have a PC beforehand to help customize the thing then you will rely on:
- default programming of the thingies
- profiles made by Behringer announced for the Mac platform.
- the Learn Feature.

Now as it's always a bit tedious with their manuals (I had a hard time checking about the DDX when it came out) and we have only promises from the press release and site, I can't be absolutely adamant on all this.

We can only hope they make profiles for all major apps.

Now they have in the same line of product a USB2 audio interface with some controls, but it won"t be supported on the Mac platform, which is stupid as there is a market for it.

Now if there is tomorrow 3 millions of GarageBand licencies sold by Apple, expect to see them move a little. Well I hope so… unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
_jem_
post Sat 27 Mar 2004, 01:38
Post #7

Visitors

Speaking about Midi controllers ... just discovered that :

http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bitstr...am_3x/index.php

simply AMAZING !

+Quote Post
_guest_Tommi_
post Thu 17 Jun 2004, 20:56
Post #8

Visitors

So far I have used some Behringer hardware like MX2004 mixer which worked out great (still have it) and less good hardware like AutoCom Pro (older model), Tube Composer (compressor/limiter) and Virtualizer and a patch bay (ultrapatch). Basically everything else has been less convincing except the mixer and patchbay, although - you really can't build a patch bay badly...

Anyway, I'm trading my MX2004 mixer to DDX3216 that I was to test today in local music store - price is unbeatable (EUR 1260 incl.VAT) and the build seemed to be rock solid. Also I've read a lot about this particular piece of hardware and most of users have conviced me that It's excellent value for money and provides more features than more expensive comparisons (like Yamaha or Tascam).

Downside would be not so good mac compatibility, but as I'm using still PC with Cubase SX 2.0 it shouldn't be a problem.

The bottom line (with moderate experience) : with limited budget, buy Behringer, but if you have any extra cash - invest it into more serious hardware. They might not sound much better but they last longer (=my behringer problems have risen few months after purchase).

+Quote Post
_con_
post Sat 16 Oct 2004, 13:20
Post #9

Visitors

is there anybody who has had problems whit cubase sx 2.0 working together whit ddx3216 ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 24 Apr 2024, 15:59
- © 440 Forums 2011