MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garage Band versus Soundtrack, Apple
_news_
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 00:04
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

Garage Band versus Soundtrack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boze
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 00:04
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,676

This was the only real positive thing about the keynote for me. i think that GarageBand is a great offering that fills a good sized niche for folks who don't need a big scalable daw but want to do an ep or a demo either backing themselves up with virtual instruments or tracking their band.

also, AU support is a pleasant surprise.

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
wlevin
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 01:11
Post #3

Member No.: 25,262

Post moved to Apple Introduces GarageBand forum.

This post has been edited by wlevin: Wed 7 Jan 2004, 01:24

--------------------
http://www.macboy.com
Cartoons for Mac Geeks

Mew & Zach
Mac Music Comic Strip

PowerBook G4 800MHz Mac OS X 10.3, Emagic Logic Platinum 6, amt8, Yamaha TG500 (x2), Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JD-990, Roland D-550, Korg M1, Oberheim Matrix 6R, Mackie LM3204 line mixer, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, V-Tech VT-1030 Cheap-O Uni-Directional Mic, Macromedia Flash 6 MX

+Quote Post
stellarSYNTH
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 18:02
Post #4

Member No.: 32,675

QUOTE (boze @ Jan 6 2004, 23:04)
This was the only real positive thing about the keynote for me. i think that GarageBand is a great offering that fills a good sized niche for folks who don't need a big scalable daw but want to do an ep or a demo either backing themselves up with virtual instruments or tracking their band.

also, AU support is a pleasant surprise.

I am also excited about this release. Like many others on this forurm, I am sure, I began with synthesizers when their connections to computers was in it's infancy. I used to have Sequential Circuits woefully under powered "Six Trac" whihc was one of the first MIDI keyboards introduced. I went on to other pieces of equipment and settled with VISION whihc alos became an anacronism. I am a MIDI hobbyist, but the announcement od GarageBand was music to my ears. I simple couldn't justify the cost of CUBASE for my humble needs.
I have ordered GargeBand and the JAMPACK. I hope to share my experiences and questions here.
I am also surprised that I could not find the Keystation 49e listed among the products at m-audio <http://www.m-audio.com>. My keyboards are aging and the small one I was planning to use with GarageBand (DX-100) does not send velocity sensitivity. I am thinking of cancelling my order of the 49e and ordering the Oxegen8. Anyone using it?

--------------------
Musique non stop...techno pop.

Dual G4/450 1 Gb RAM iBook G3/500 576 RAM
<blush>
Prophet 2000, Yamaha DX100, Oxygen-8, DSS-330, E-MU Proteus-1, E-MU DancePlanet, Yamaha DX-17, Beringer 802 Mixer, Various Support Gear :: Opcode VisionDSP 4.5.1 SoundStudio :: Amadeus II

Apple Certified Technician

+Quote Post
boze
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 19:42
Post #5

i would go for a pcr-30 from edirol. or at least consider it.

way more controls and adjusting knobs and sliders on screen with knobs and sliders in real life is handy in lots of apps.

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
macmusicpd
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 22:05
Post #6

Member No.: 29,613

Does anybody know how many audio tracks Garage Band can record? And what about bits? 24/96? Can it import MIDI tracks? With velocity?

If so to all those things Garage Band could be useful. I've looked on the Garage Band page and can't find those specs.

+Quote Post
boze
post Wed 7 Jan 2004, 22:29
Post #7

i think it was 64 tracks of audio. not sure what bitrate and freq.

i remember somebody saying you could only automate volume though. but it's not going to be a real daw- that's not the point, ya know?

--------------------

+Quote Post
peterkirn
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 15:50
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 8,113

Yeah, you can clearly see the volume automation features in the screenshots. Very cool.

And I agree, not a real DAW but it's something that may make a great, great sketchpad even for the rest of us. Just like sometimes I like to write ideas in TextEdit and not Word!

+Quote Post
boze
post Thu 8 Jan 2004, 16:24
Post #9

i totally agree with that completely, i'm looking forward to seeing if it's just faster to use for me than dp because i'm not a poweruser like some of the folks here and right now i'm just recording rough cuts of jazz standards to send to my bassist friend as mp3s.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 26 Apr 2024, 15:33
- © 440 Forums 2011