MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MOTU unveils 192kHz 896HD firewire audio interface, Computer Hardware
_news_
post Mon 5 Jan 2004, 23:16
Post #1

Visitors

Comments about:

MOTU unveils 192kHz 896HD firewire audio interface
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
_djeFFECT_
post Mon 5 Jan 2004, 23:16
Post #2

Visitors

THE 896HD ROCKS. I FINISHED MY FIRST MIX ON IT, I GOT PRO RESULTS. AT 192K YOU GET THE PRISTINE SOUND YOU HEAR ON PROTOOLS MIXES. THE CUEMIX DSP MIXER IS AWESOME FOR RECORDING PLUGINS BACK INTO YOUR COMPUTER. I GOT RID OF MY DIGITAL MIXER AND A TON OF CABLES AND REPLACED IT WITH THE 896HD. THE TIME IT TAKES ME NOW TO PRODUCE A PROJECT HAS BEEN CUT DOWN ABOUT 50%. AND I GET BETTER QUALITY FINISHED PRODUCT. THIS WAS THE BEST UPGRADE I EVER MADE.
BUT YOU DO NEED A FAST COMPUTER, WITH A TON OF MEMORY TO RUN AT 192K. I GIVE THE 896HD A 10. MOTU HAS KICKED ASS WITH THIS UNIT, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

+Quote Post
Nels
post Tue 6 Jan 2004, 02:18
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,398

djeFFECT,

Why did you decide to go with the 896HD instead of Pro Tools? ...And do you have any midi connections at all?

I'm struggling on which way to go myself. Also, which computer are you running and is the 896HD all that you are using? No DP4 or any other?

I'm thinking along the lines of the 828mkll and DP4 or Pro Tools 002 Rack and DP4. Any Thought?

Thanks for any input,
Nels

+Quote Post
Andy
post Tue 6 Jan 2004, 08:55
Post #4

Member No.: 896

Nels,

I have a PT Mix++ system with an 888/24 running on a G4 800 dual p, and I to am just wondering whether or not to swap to a G5 / MOTU 896 HD.

djeFFECT sounds very excited - I wonder if he works for MOTU?:-)

As for the 828mkll, I used to have a mkl before I got PT and it was very good, but, as is with all of us, the constant pursuit of the ultimate in audio quality got the better of me, and I went for the mix system. It does deliver, but PT is a pain in the backside to write in (if you use a lot of midi/soft synths) so I'm going back to Logic with the G5.

I'm desparate to get some more feedback on the HD before I jump into the abyss. If you or anyone else can help the feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Nels

Andy.

+Quote Post
Nels
post Tue 6 Jan 2004, 16:46
Post #5

Andy,

Sounds like you're a bit higher up in the audio food chain. Sorry I can't give you any feed back on the Hd, as I'm still in the dark myself.

I'm surprised that you feel Logic is easier than Pro Tools to run. The grand majority seems to think that Logic, though Great, is much more complex to work with. Mainly for that reason I've decided against Logic, but now you've got me considering it again. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Good Luck

+Quote Post
_djEFFECT_
post Tue 20 Apr 2004, 17:05
Post #6

Visitors

NO I DON'T WORK FOR MOTU, I WISH I DID THOUGH, I just produce at home , and yes i do run alot of midi stuff, i record all my midi tracks,i have all tracks as audio files, then mixdown from there, i get absolutely no noise at all, as like it was mastered already,
i didn't go with protools because, a. cost b. doesn't run on windows as well as with mac, c. i can take the 896 anywhere and use a laptop, at the airports etc. and do production. and c. i can record my plugin sounds back in tho this unit at 896 as the same quality.
I was introduced the unit at a guita r center in Manhattan by a motu rep,
and bought it right away.

+Quote Post
Nels
post Tue 20 Apr 2004, 21:52
Post #7

Have had the Yamaha O1X now, for a week and aside from having Transport Control / Midi recognition problems, this is a very very cool piece of gear. The audio is as clear as can be.

My O1X is mLan slaved and W. Clock is enabled, but still Dp 4.1 won't recognize the Transport Controls or Midi (MTC, etc.) ...Control Surface Setup does not show the mLan Network as an option.

Hope to get this resolved soon cause everything else works great!

Mac Powerbook G4 1.25(OS 10.3.3) / Yamaha O1X / TECHNICS WAS1 MODELING SYNTH MIDI SEQUENCER

+Quote Post
_FLAMMMMster_
post Fri 7 May 2004, 17:15
Post #8

Visitors

I've been wanting to buy a motu for ages now, the specs look fantastic but one thing i can't find out is if it is actually capable of remote recording without a computer present or if it just acts as a mixer. It would be nice to be able to attach an external firewire disk and record that way.

I'd like to be monitoring effects when i'm drumming too, so anyone know what effects unit would go well with the motu?

Anything has got to be better than my set up right now, 2 small behringer desks being fed to 2 edirol UA-1A cards on a dull windows machine: you better believe the sync problems i have on the recordings.

The 01X looks great but is the sound quality compromised with the fact that it's the same price (roughly) as the motu and you're getting motorised slidiers, free midi etc.

+Quote Post
_kanuga_
post Mon 10 May 2004, 20:53
Post #9

Visitors

o1x sucks I have more problems with it that anything else. The audio quality is below standard:clipping, low signal levels etc. I bought it to replace the tascam FW 1884 because it doesnt run yet with panther osx. I am seriously thinking of returning the o1x for the 896hd just because i hear so much about it. my question also is what about digi's 002 rack? how are the preamps in those compared to the 896hd? will the digi 002 be recognized by logic pro 6?

+Quote Post
_m.d_
post Mon 17 May 2004, 06:27
Post #10

Visitors

digi 002 does get recognized by logic no problem. If you are not running PT though, don't bother with the interface cause there is much better available for the money. For that price you could get the 896hd and a mic, and the 896 kills the 002 for pre-amps (though we all know that pre-amps on these things are lousy compared to a dedicated pre-amp). The fw 1884 as of a couple weeks ago is supposed to run with panther. Check their site again.

Flammmmmmster.

The 896 and 828 can monitor without computer (as long as cue mixed was set up for routing before disengaging the device). It does not record. Try the alesis hd with a firewire attachment card for mobile to computer recording.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 7 May 2024, 11:10
- © 440 Forums 2011