Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mac Osx
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
Badmadlad
Hi

I bought a 2nd hand Mac earlier this year and it had cubase V5 VST and many Plug ins on it. The Mac is a G4 400 512 30 gig hdd. Being a PC user I have had a nightmare trying to understand the OS9 Platform and the complications of the extension manger etc. I have now decided to opt for the Steinberg Studio case and going to OSX. Can anyone give any feed back on what OSX is like and would it be better to go straight to the new Panther version that came out in the UK on Friday . Also will all my old plug-ins work on OSX? Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers
rickenbacker
Better check Cubase compatability with Panther - so far, Cubase is not exactly rock-solid on Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar). Many apps are having to be upgraded to work with OS X 10.3 (Panther) and special deals, like this Studio Case, are always the last thing to be updated. I don't even know if Cubase SX 2.0 has been readied for Panther.

I'd move to Jaguar first, but avoid the fudging 10.2.8 update, which bollocksed up my system a treat. Go as far as 10.2.6 - that was fine and dandy. Aah, I remember those carefree 10.2.6 days well. Why not look at some of the Logic bundles instead, which compare well with the Cubase deal? Also, you do realise that none of your OS 9 plug-ins will work in OS X?
Badmadlad
Thanks thats really helpful, I just bought the Cubase Studio case and realised that Min Spec is G4 450 and I have a G4 400. Is this going to make that much of a difference , I dont think I will ever max it out using loads of audio channels and midi channels. But is it expensive to upgrade my processor?

I had pondered going to Jaguar so that does make sense . So OS 9.2 plugins dont work on Mac OSX? aah well never really used them anyway. !

Thats been a great help, thanks
boze
no, os9 plugins don't work in osx.

and yes- G4 upgrades for your machine are more affordable all the time and work well.

check this link: http://xlr8yourmac.com/cpucards.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.