Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewire Failure
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Mac and Peripherals > Hard Drives
stratosfear
dear friends,
i'm quite anxious about not being able to boot my firewire drive. Has anyone had a error message that reads " a disk attempting to mount as unknown has failed verification or has failed to mount. Please use disk utility to check the disk and correct any errors". The firewire has music i've been working 6 months on and I was trying to back the latest sessions up, and so i am treading very carefully with this problem.
I am running an mbox with 6.1 pro tools on a single 1.25 G4 using OS-X. Any remedies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Synthetic
I am not even sure if Firewire drives are bootable... it might depend on the type of drive or your firewire controller. I have a Glyph 30gig firewire drive and it is not bootable. Were you able to boot from your firewire drive before? Explain your situation a little more taking into consideration that we are clueless about what lead up to your problems wink.gif
stratosfear
When i use the term ' boot' i simply mean, probably naively, to see the firewire on my desktop on startup.There was no lead up to this problem except my mac and my ext hardrive, genesys 40gig were no longer talking. I tell you synthetic it's like a rock band in there. Thanks
buggsson
Have you tried to check it with the disk utility that came with your OS? You can also try to mount the disk from this app. Be sure that you unmount your disk properly, eventhough it is hot-swappable, otherwise problems might arise.
Synthetic
QUOTE (stratosfear @ Aug 25 2003, 15:51)
When i use the term ' boot' i simply mean, probably naively, to see the firewire on my desktop on startup.There was no lead up to this problem except my mac and my ext hardrive, genesys 40gig were no longer talking. I tell you synthetic it's like a rock band in there. Thanks

lol... a rock band in your computer laugh.gif

oh... I see what you mean... you actually just want it to mount on your desktop. As mentioed above... you should have some type of software that came with the drive that has a little app that should be able to mount your drive for you if it doesn't come up automatically. If that app has trouble finding and mounting your HD... you have a bad HD on your hands and might not be usable. Try also reinstalling any drivers related to the HD and see if that helps. I hate to think you lost all your work.

I just lost my internal drive on my G3... wasn't really that long ago... maybe a year or 2 that I bought it. It started acting very sluggish and tried running Norton on it... Norton had problems scanning it. I then immediately copied all files onto my 30gig firewire drive for backup and was about to format the internal drive when it just quit mounting like yours. It was making some funny sounds (mine was more like an industrial remix sound haha) just before it happened too. So luckily I got data off in time but now I am without music machine until I get new drive sad.gif Hopefully your problem is not that serious though wink.gif
stratosfear
thanks for yr guidance, i took the firewire over to a friends and it booted just fine and so i copied the whole thing into his newly installed internal HD AND all the data was still on the HD at the last studio I used, about 6 weeks ago...oh the universe can be kind, so all is well and my blood pressure is back at its usual geriatric level. i couldnt use the OS X disk utility as all the options were greyed out which was helpful! So the problem is in the gizzards of my prefs and will check out the apps and system set up itself. who knows I may even learn something. Thanks again and all the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.