Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cubase Sx Audio Input
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
joedall
Hello,
I can't hear me in my headphones while i'm recording voice at cubase sx. I hear the music in the audio tracks but not my voice. The voice is recorded because when I can hear it just when finished. Is dificoult to sing without listening. I need some help please.
thanks
emaroney
Hey Joe,

What kind of sound card are you using? Is it set up for in/out, record monitoring?

Is the device setup for "monitor record?"

I had some problems with my Duo when I first hooked it up, but it is was just a matter of finding the right buttons to hit on the right control panel, works great now.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Joax
I cant get this shit to work!

How do i get "monitoring" with my m-audio USB Duo & Cubase SX?!?

blink.gif

It records, and playbacks audio great, but NO Monitoring!!
Can anyone give me a step-by-step instruction how to slve this? I tryd evrything...

Im using the latest drivers for Duo.
OS X 10.2.x
Cubase SX 1.5 (Ithink)

I would be greatful for help!

Best,
Jonathan
rickenbacker
Ahem, the following information is taken from the Cubase SX Help menu. Try it, it's full of useful titbits.

Monitoring

In this context, "monitoring" means listening to the input signal during recording. There are three fundamentally different ways to do this: via Cubase SX/SL, externally (by listening to the signal before it reaches Cubase SX/SL) or by using ASIO Direct Monitoring (which is a combination of both of the other methods - see below).

Monitoring via Cubase SX/SL

If you monitor via Cubase SX/SL, the input signal is mixed in with the audio playback. The advantage of this is that you can adjust the monitoring level and panning in the Mixer, and add effects and EQ to the monitor signal just as during playback. The disadvantage of monitoring via Cubase SX/SL is that the monitored signal will be delayed according to the latency value (which depends on your audio hardware and drivers). Therefore, monitoring via Cubase SX/SL requires an audio hardware configuration with a low latency value (see the Getting Started book).

When monitoring via Cubase SX/SL, you can select one of four modes in the Preferences dialog (VST page):

Manual.
This option allows you to turn input monitoring on or off by clicking the Monitor button in the Inspector, the Track list or in the Mixer.

While Record Enabled.
With this option you will hear the audio source connected to the channel input whenever the track is record enabled.

While Record Running.
This option switches to input monitoring only during recording.

Tapemachine Style.
This option emulates standard tapemachine behavior: input monitoring in stop mode and during recording, but not during playback.

External monitoring

External monitoring (listening to the input signal before it goes into Cubase SX/SL) requires some sort of external mixer for mixing the audio playback with the input signal. This can be a stand-alone physical mixer or a mixer application for your audio hardware, if this has a mode in which the input audio is sent back out again (usually called "Thru", "Direct Thru" or similar).

When using external monitoring, you cannot control the level of the monitor signal from within Cubase SX/SL, or add VST effects or EQ to the monitor signal. The latency value of the audio hardware configuration does not affect the monitor signal in this mode.

Note: If you want to use external monitoring, you need to make sure that monitoring via Cubase SX/SL isn't activated as well.
Select the "Manual" monitoring mode in the Preferences dialog (VST page) and simply don't activate the Monitor buttons.

ASIO Direct Monitoring

If your audio hardware is ASIO 2.0 compatible, it may support ASIO Direct Monitoring. In this mode, the actual monitoring is done in the audio hardware, by sending the input signal back out again. However, monitoring is controlled from Cubase SX/SL. This means that the audio hardware's direct monitoring feature can be turned on or off automatically by Cubase SX/SL, just as when using internal monitoring.

When ASIO Direct Monitoring is activated, you can select a monitoring mode in the Preferences dialog (VST page), as when monitoring via Cubase SX/SL (see above).

Depending on the audio hardware, it may also be possible to adjust monitoring level and panning from the Mixer.
Consult the documentation of the audio hardware if in doubt.

VST effects and EQ cannot be applied to the monitor signal in this mode, since the monitor signal doesn't pass through Cubase SX/SL.

Depending on the audio hardware, there may be special restrictions as to which audio outputs can be used for direct monitoring.
For details on the routing of the audio hardware, see its documentation.

The latency value of the audio hardware configuration does not affect the monitor signal when using ASIO Direct Monitoring.
Joax
Thanks alot for the help, and detaild explenation.

I was worried there for a while, but now its working!!

Im using "Tape" monitoring, and switch off the "direct monitorning" in Cubase SX, restarted, and now its working perfect. No latency what so ever, even when i plug in effects directly on the monitor channel!!!

I can recommend the USB Duo for recording vocals. Great quality.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.