Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ibook And Cubase Sx
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
drolpsn
I recently purchased an ibook. (G3 900/256MB). I was curious if anyone has experience with running Cubase SX on this system. The minimum specs for Cubase SX seem to suggest a G4. The Emagic software seems to suggest less stringent minimum specs, however for both $$ and compatability with another musician I work with Cubase would be preferable. Any comments are appreciated.

If it matters I'm running OSX 10.2 and plan to use the Motu 828 firewire device in this scenario.

Thanks
somaestudios
Hi, I am running Cubase SX on an iBook G3/800 mhz/640 Ram/M audio Ozone/ Panther, and have no problems.
It works great.
Also have an iBook G4/800mhz/256Ram/Panther/Core audio/M audio Oxigen running SX and no problems so far.
The Motu is a great interface, a friend of mine has one and works flawlessly.
Good luck,
kolo
Hi,
I'm on an Ibook g3 700 and and still running Cubase 4.12r in OS 9. I runs well. But OS X is inevitable since my ibook is the last generation that boots OS 9. I was wonderering how many tracks, plug ins, virtual instruments you are able to run with SX on your similar system. I do want to get into OS X for my music since everything else I use is there...

blink.gif
gdoubleyou
sad.gif

SX1 maybe, you would be hard pressed to use SX2 it uses much more CPU. Minimum requirements call for G4/867.

After being a longtime Cubase5 user, I moved my SX license to PC where the performance and user experience is better for Steinberg products.

I suggest Logic6 or DP4.12 for your machine, that would save a lot of frustration. Both Logic and DP have about the same performance in OSX as they did in OS9
chrisk4
The following question and answer below is from the Steinberg knowledgbase and relates to Cubase SX and Cubase SL. I have a G3/700MHz iBook and want to run Cubase SX 2 on it and have been searching to find anyone with a similar setup and the user <someaestudios> here on Macmusic appears to be doing so successfully with a G3/800MHz iBook. Somaestudios does not say if it's SX 1 or SX2 they are using and I believe that SX 2 puts an even greater load on the cpu, especially if you get into using lots of plug-ins, fx etc. I guess I'll need to go ahead and try it. Anyway the Steinberg info:

---
Question: Is my Mac strong enough to run Cubase SX?

These are the official system requirements of Cubase SX Mac:

Processor: Power Mac G4
RAM: 256 MB (512 MB recommended)
Operating System: Mac OS X Version 10.2 or later

However, SX will also run properly on Power Macs with a G3 CPU (e.g. iMacs and iBooks).
Generally it can be said that a specific Power Mac is suitable for running SX when the global performance of OS X (10.2) is satisfying.

A very important factor for the performance of OS X (10.2) is the graphics card.
If OS X (10.2) behaves rather slow on your Mac check if the graphics card you're using supports Quartz Extreme, the "composite windowing system" of Mac OS X that has been introduced with Jaguar (10.2).
Quartz Extreme's functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

The use of an according graphics card increases the global performance of OS X (10.2) considerably.

Further information: http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html
----

The original link, this may not work and I apologise in advance if it doesn't, for the Steinberg piece is:

http://service.steinberg.net/knowledge_pro...5f?OpenDocument
rickenbacker
I have used SX on a 600MHz G3 iBook. I could get about 16 tracks of audio and a few Midi. Performance wasn't terrible, but I knew a bigger and better Mac would be preferable. So I bought one. And then switched to Logic.
gdoubleyou
cool.gif
From the steinberg site updated requirements for SX2:

Processor PowerMac G4 867 MHz (PowerMac G4 Dual 1,25 GHz or faster recommended)

RAM 384 MB (512 MB recommended)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.2.5 or higher

My desktop is an ancient G4/400 SX choked it.
On the same machine my basic sessions 24-32 tracks 8-16 soft-synths with Logic6.

Logic only requires a G3/400, DP4 only ask for any G3/G4.

SX is currently suffering from a buttload problems, buckle up your helmet and go feel the pain at Cubase.net for firsthand accounts.

http://forum.cubase.net/cgi-bin/cubase.net...et/Ultimate.cgi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.