Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Multi-purpose Sound Module Should I Buy ?
440 Forums > English > Synthesizers > Digital
MadChemist
Hi everybody,
I'm currently bulding up by own small studio, and the next thing I plan to purchase is a multi-purpose/general-purpose sound module.
My main field of operation (so to speak) is Hip-Hop/R&B but I also tend a bit towards jazz and classic music. Of course additional capabilities, like house- and dance-sounds won't hurt either.

I already took a look at the Proteus 2000 and the Motif Rack, and both seem to sound great, but I'm not so experienced with sythesizers, so I don't really know which features and sounds are important and useful and which aren't. Or are there any other comparable modules in the 800 - 1500 Euro price range ?

As already said, this will be my first sythesizer ever, and my only one for at least one year. I'd really appreciate some recommendations and experiences that would help me find a suitable module.

Thanks in advance
MadChemist smile.gif
Skeeep
There is a difference between a synth and a sample playback/synth. The synth creates sounds from waves. A sample playback/synth creates sounds from waves and samples. So they can duplicate the sound of realistic instruments much better.

Since it's gonna be your first synth, I suggest searching out a used one. Visit the websites at www.synthzone.com and www.sonicstate.com and look through some of the data on some of the recent Korg, Roland and EMU and Yamaha synths. Sonic state has lots of user reviews to help out. With that knowledge, you might be able to find something for a bout $300 - $500. If there is a Korg Trinity Rack, that's a great sample playback/synth choice. A Yamaha TX81Z is gonna be cheap, but is a great little synth.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you just bite the bullet and get a Triton rack. That is a monster sample playback/synth with all of the sound styles that you could want and some serious expandability. You can't go wrong with that choice.

Good luck.

homershines
for phat drum sounds & samples
contact me at homershines@yahoo.c_om
Synthetic
also consider the type of sounds each synth creates as some like the Motif might not be the best for the type of music you wish to create. The motif is nice unit but its not geared for dance, techno & hip hop as much as sau the CS6x/r unit. i have a CS6x and its presets and arp's were created with that type of music in mind.

Actually, if i were in your shoes... I would seriously consider one the EMU cammand stations MP-7 or XL-7. They have dropped price down considerably (to about $600) and these things are loaded with features. If they would have came out when I bought CS6x... I would have got one instead. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.