Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Software Mp3-recorder?
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > iMusic: iPod, iTunes, MP3 etc.
Johnny Valium
Hi,

Are there any applications that record audio and convert it directly to mp3 (oggvorbis, ... whatever) before writing it to disk?

Greets
JV
formatj
Spark XL 2.6 (which has just been released) can, haven't tried it yet, only just ordered the upgrade.

Audion 3 (I think)
ryosode
Hm... may I know why you would like to do this?
Johnny Valium
I thought it was obvious:
To record notices or musical ideas or even my singing lessons in a decent qualitiy without consuming tons of disk space. I've searched for it and found some Win apps that seem to be able to do this but nothing OS X. The processors today should be able to do this.

I'm gonna try Audion though I can't see this ability explicitly mentioned on their feature list. SparkXL is expensive!:sad:

Thanks anyway
JV
formatj
Information from audion's website:

Recording
Save your net radio or sound input to disk!
.........You can even record live audio input.

There is a free 15 day demo at:
http://www.panic.com/audion/download.html
deleted
There is also N2MP3 by Proteron software (i don't remember ther url, it's a shareware) which has been carbonized for OS X. You can easily record your live stereo input, or any audio file, to mp3, ogg/vorbis, aiif or wav. Of course, you can tweak the bitrate, mono/stereo, etc.

The major drawback under os 9 is that you CAN'T do anything else on the mac when live recording/encoding, or you'll get skipped sequences!!! I personaly didn't check the OS X release yet, which is probably better concerning multi-tasking.

Bye.
Johnny Valium
I just recorded my vocal lessson with my ibook's internal mic and audion to mp3 to my ice cube firewire hd. Quality is nice, at least good enough for the purpose. Unfortunately, Audion crashed upon hitting the stop (record) button. Only 36 of the 52 Minutes were saved to disk. angry.gif

I'll try the Proteron software and post my results.

JV
lilthix
Hi, I guess you're gonna like N2MP3. I have a friend who's using it for interviews (around 30 minutes) and he never crashed the computer with it... This software records your source directly into MP3 and you won't have anything to do to save your file to the disk smile.gif So I suggest you to use this cause it seems to fit perfectly for what you have to do.

Have a nice day!
Thix biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.