Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems Recording W/ Keyboard In Reason
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Reason
liquidh2o
I bought a yamaha DGX-500 recently, as well as an emagic mt4 to handle the midi in/out to my mac. Setup was a breeze, and I have reason 2.0 setup right now to where i can actually hear the notes i'm playing on my keyboard through reason.

Problem is, when I go to record a track, and i'm playing notes through the keyboard, reason isn't recording what i play. I've tried going thru the different synthesizers and the same results.

I followed the instructions on the FAQ for Reason for setting up my keyboard to record, and still no luck.

My setup is as follows.

Dual Ghz Mirror Drive power mac
running os 10.2.2
Reason 2.01 (the .01 is the latest update i believe)
Emagic mt4
Yamaha DGX-500

also of note I only have the yamaha DGX-500 setup with only midi out to the mt4, but I believe that's all i should need since i'm not wanting to hear what i play thru the sequencers(in reason) on the keyboard, is this right or am i missing something?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, as all i can do right now is just listen to the pretty sounds my keyboard makes while routed thru the synths and sequencers, talk about frustrating!

Thanks.
Levon River
1) Is the MIDI icon showing in the track you're trying to record into?

2) Is your synth set to send on the *same channel* that is selected in the Reason Preferences "MIDI" panel for Reason to receive on?

3) Is the switch on the Reason transport set to "Overdub" or "Replace"?

If all the above is set correctly and the way you want it, click the red button on the transport and make sure it lights up. That means it's record-enabled. Then click the "Play" arrow on the transport, and you ought to experience recording joy. If not, holler. biggrin.gif
liquidh2o
1.) Yeppers

2.) hehhe

3.) I've tried both

back to #2, I had originally had it setup to port 2 channel 2, and i thought since that setting was able to get me sound via the advanced midi>Bus A, that using that same port/channel for the sequencer would yield the same results.

Not so.

Switching to port 2 channel 1 solved the problem and now i can continue on my merry way to hopefully making my first piece of music smile.gif

thanks.
Levon River
QUOTE (liquidh2o @ Dec 8 2002, 08:44)
2.)  hehhe

laugh.gif

That channel thang will getya every time.

I've sometimes pondered on what peculiar kind of logic is required to write computer programs: that someone would invest endless chunks of their life in coding and meticulously designing all manner of bells, whistles, lights, guages, buttons, menus, windows--you name it--only to completely omit ANY visible indication of such a fundamentally crucial part of the operation.

Every time I get close to understanding what kind of mind that takes, it scares me. laugh.gif

Glad you're up and running.
E rouge
I have the same set up... I dont understand, what did you change to fix it?
BusError
QUOTE (Levon River @ Dec 8 2002, 14:37)
QUOTE (liquidh2o @ Dec 8 2002, 08:44)
2.)  hehhe

laugh.gif

That channel thang will getya every time.

I've sometimes pondered on what peculiar kind of logic is required to write computer programs: that someone would invest endless chunks of their life in coding and meticulously designing all manner of bells, whistles, lights, guages, buttons, menus, windows--you name it--only to completely omit ANY visible indication of such a fundamentally crucial part of the operation.

Every time I get close to understanding what kind of mind that takes, it scares me. laugh.gif

Glad you're up and running.

Welcome to my world!

I can that the "bearded syndrom". Computer programmers for the most part have an deficiency in the "Take a step back and look at the whole thing"
In other words, if they were scultors, you would have a huge block of marble, uncut, with a couple tiny highly detailed gismoz sculted in; probably at places you wouldn't be able to look at, too.

wink.gif
Levon River
QUOTE (E rouge @ Dec 10 2002, 05:32)
I have the same set up... I dont understand, what did you change to fix it?

In the Reason "MIDI" preferences pane, there's a drop-down for selecting the MIDI channel that the Reason sequencer is to receive MIDI on (it defaults to MIDI channel 1). It has to be set to the same MIDI channel that yer keyboard (or other MIDI controller) is set to *send* MIDI on. Otherwise, it's like dialing the wrong number. biggrin.gif

Most all MIDI controllers have an option for setting the "Send" channel for MIDI information. (Some older ones--like the DX-7, IIRC--might be locked into sending only on MIDI channel 1.) Anyway, as long as:

1) Reason's preferences is set to receive on whatever channel your controller is sending on, and,

2) you've clicked in the far left of the track you want to record into (to put the MIDI icon in that track so you know that *that's* where your MIDI information is going), and,

3) you have a Reason sound module in the rack AND selected in the little drop-down "Out" menu on that specific track, then...

Everything oughta' be copesthetic. smile.gif
Levon River
QUOTE (BusError @ Dec 10 2002, 12:00)
Computer programmers for the most part have an deficiency in the "Take a step back and look at the whole thing"
In other words, if they were scultors, you would have a huge block of marble, uncut, with a couple tiny highly detailed gismoz sculted in; probably at places you wouldn't be able to look at, too.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Great analogy, buserror! Maybe that's why so many coders wind up with program managers leaning on the cubicle wall looking over their shoulders. laugh.gif

Seriously, though, we'd all still be using an abacus if it wasn't for all youse guys. A tip o' the Levon hat to you for all the gain--AND all the pain. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.