Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Macbook Batteries
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Mac and Peripherals > Mac Intel
lepetitmartien
I've just killed my third or fourth battery in 6 years for my Blackbook (A1181), first was Apple, others were chinese compatible. What can I say about this:

- they all die the same way (erratic functioning heading to computer issues, inflating)
- Apple's are consistent in capacity (high to start with), compatible are sometimes same, sometimes less…
- Apple's may last longer (a little…)
- price is not the same definitely.

All in all, given they all die after a year/year and a half, without even reaching the limits they should, I don't see the point to pay the Apple premium in this regard. Especially as the warranty is taylored to not cover the batteries when they fail anyway (far from their supposed limits…) tongue.gif
midiwife
Well, I've bought 3 Chinese compats (via eBay) now and each has died in exactly the same way ...

They don't support smart sleep and therefore, when you do the occasional calibration that Apple recommends (disconnect power, leave to sleep then leave till LED goes out completely before restarting and recharging the battery up to 100%) your macbook will come up with the 'no battery' icon instead of a charging battery one.

I got one replaced as the company thought it was a fault with the battery but then when the second went the same way they failed to respond to any of my emails. So did eBay for that matter. Pretty crap.

Moral of the story. By all means buy a cheap compat but don't even try to calibrate it. angry.gif

In the end I went out and bought a new Apple one which cost me over £100 but works exactly the way it should.
lepetitmartien
Never had the issue with my chinese junk… But as it all depends on who builds them, and how serious they are…

Thanks for the tip, I'll be careful. As mine may have survived the calibration, but it may be that the cause of the early demise, an element shorting then inflation and everything goes smoothly before when in fact one element is stressing and degrading silently before shorting. I'll try the "stop calibration proceeding when the mac tell it's running on reserve". Time will tell.
lepetitmartien
As usual for me, smart sleep works, Midiwife you've been very unlucky. but the capacity is very inferior to what it should be, and it's dwindling… instead of being at about 5000 or more, I've started at 4600 and it goes down…
midiwife
That's good news lepetitmartien - pleased for you.

I'm still going good with the genuine Apple product on my old plastic fantastic, but am in the market for another replacement (for a second Macbook). Any tips where you got your compatible from and the manufacturer?
lepetitmartien
It's just a lottery… sad.gif
lepetitmartien
And the capacity dwindles dwindles…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.