Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Record Electric Guitar With Di Box
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
therp
hi all.. i need some advices for my problem. 1st i would to say sorry for my english.

my problem is :

i want to know what the best setting if i want to record el guitar directly ? im not really happy with the sound recorded, the sound i got is unreal, thin, n rumble..

my gear is Squier Telecaster Custom II + Alesis IO2 + Macbook Santa Rosa with Cubase LE 4 or GarageBand, the cable use Planet Waves, and the guitar style i play is strumming...

what should i do to get the best sound from the gear i already have ?

thanks..
Rhsilverberg
QUOTE (therp @ Fri 11 Dec 2009, 07:00) *
hi all.. i need some advices for my problem. 1st i would to say sorry for my english.

my problem is :

i want to know what the best setting if i want to record el guitar directly ? im not really happy with the sound recorded, the sound i got is unreal, thin, n rumble..

my gear is Squier Telecaster Custom II + Alesis IO2 + Macbook Santa Rosa with Cubase LE 4 or GarageBand, the cable use Planet Waves, and the guitar style i play is strumming...

what should i do to get the best sound from the gear i already have ?

thanks..

What you're describing sounds to me as though you are not inserting an amp modeling plug-in in your guitar recording channel. The benefit of taking a direct signal off the guitar is that you can tweak your tone to your heart's content at any time. I'm a Logic user and often "go direct" with my Tele and get nice results using the amp modeling plug ins.

Roger
mackowako
Hi my friend

I'll try to contribute my two cents in hope it will be helpful to you. This sound childish but starting with your guitar's tone control, set your guitar's sound and then use an EQ to shape it even more. I suggest you using a 7 to 10 band EQ like the MXR M-108 EQ or the Behringer EQ700 if you're on a budget and try to tweak the sound to suit your taste. Connect the EQ between your guitar and the Alesis IO2 interface. That way you send the sound you like (or as close as) of your guitar to your computer and later if you need to tweak your sound even more, you won't have to do much tweaking using Cubase or Garageband.

When I'm recording, I always tweak the sound before sending it to my computer and most of the time I don't have to do anything else, as far as the quality of the sound is concerned. Good luck with your recording and have a very happy holidays. cool.gif
therp
ok i'll try to tweak more guitar tone position and add a virtual amp modeling from garageband. I cant add an EQ rack on my recording chain, for now i will using an plug ins EQ.

btw can all of you send me your sample sound of clean strumming el guitar you've recorded? or can you send me a link for the sample sound?

i just wanna hear and do some comparison with my sample sound.

thanks.
houstonmusic
thinking about guitar direct into GarageBand, you'll have more fun playing if you turn on the 'monitor' cx box in the track. it's accessed by double clicking on the track, setting your amp model and effects, as you would for any real instrument track, and then looking down at the bottom of the pane. that's where you set the input you're using, and beside that there's an option to 'monitor'. that way you'll hear effect as you rehearse and track. much more satisfying.
good luck.
Rhsilverberg
QUOTE (therp @ Sun 13 Dec 2009, 05:16) *
ok i'll try to tweak more guitar tone position and add a virtual amp modeling from garageband. I cant add an EQ rack on my recording chain, for now i will using an plug ins EQ.

btw can all of you send me your sample sound of clean strumming el guitar you've recorded? or can you send me a link for the sample sound?

i just wanna hear and do some comparison with my sample sound.

thanks.

Two 14 second sections of a guitar bridge from a tune from my upcoming album. I dummied them down to .mp3 but you'll hear the difference between the raw and the plug versions. The instrument is a Fender American Telecaster, direct into Logic 7. The plug is Guitar Amp Pro, included with Logic.

Roger

manchoa
No plugin or eq can make the sound fat and live. All depends on the audio source, that comes in. Guitar, just as microphone, need a good quality pre-amp to sound - well - normal.
I don't know about alesis audio interface, but I suggest You to give a try to some other audio interfaces.
I had the same problem with recording vocals. Sound was thin and unnatural, I messed with eq's, plugins, no - still no "por sounding" vocals. Then I bought a new audio interface (Edirol FA-66) an voila ! I just plug my mic to the soundcard, no EQ, no plugins or virtual amps, just add a little reverb and it sounds just as if a real person sings next to you, not a recording !

THe same with the guitar. It should sound good even, if the recording is "dry" Amps and FX's are to add air and personality, not to change the sounds from nothing to something.

Fender Squier Telecaster Custom II has very good and "round" sound. When You plug it to you audio interface, it should sound the same as you hear.

I think the problem is in the preamps of Your "Alesis IO2"

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.