Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can You Minimize Or Eliminate Recorded Clipping?
440 Forums > English > Audio > Technique and Tricks > Studio
ibnabouna
Hi, everyone,

Here's the story:

As a hobby, I restore (or try to restore) old recrodings of Coptic Orthodox hymns recorded in the 40-60s on different media. So far, the project has worked out well using the simple tools of (1) Bias Peak LE, (2) Raygun; and (3) Audiophile 2496 soundcard in OS X. The results of the project can be found at www.coptichymns.net.

I'm working on some ultra-rare hymns now, however, that were recorded improperly. The clipping is manifest on the tape itself. It is so bad that the distortion makes the words muffled and useless to the listener.

I would like to inquire of the experts if there is any plug-in, technique, or other method that will minimize the prevalence of this clipping and perhaps make the clip sound better.

FYI, the clip is of a single priest with a very strong voice. The Coptic church does not use music in its chants, so there are no instrumentals to worry about. It's just one man with an amazing voice whose mouth was too close to the microphone when this was recorded at the Sorbonne.

If you'd like an example of a good recording of this man's voice, check out:

http://www.coptichymns.net/realaudio/basil...il_fraction.ram (listen to the part from 0:59 - 1:10 to get a true sense of this powerful voice)

Can anyone offer some insight to solve this problem?

Thanks much,
Paul
Synthetic
from my experience with plugs ranging from Waves to other FX... I don't think you are going to find any that will make the vocals more detailed and clear if they are already distorted from tape... you might be able to hide the distortion (possible masking vocals more) some what but the vocals will never releally get clearer in my opinion but I could be wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.