Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Connecting Roland Keyboard & Imac Intel
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
BlackNote
Hello,

I recently discovered GarageBand on my iMac and would like to connect my Roland HP 530e keyboard in order to record partitions & play sounds from GB on my keyboard. I got my hands on a ESI MIDI Mate cable and connected it. GB indicates that a MIDI device is connected, the Audio MIDI setup correctly shows the ESI MIDI Mate but nothing works. I can't get any information from the keyboard in GB and sounds won't play.

I'm sure I got something totally wrong, thats why I'm asking for your help. Thank you in advance for any useful tips.

Regards,

BlackNote
mortalengines
Ok....I know this sounds like a dumb question because it sounds like you are pretty up on things but do you actually have the track "armed to record"? You know, the little record button on the track? It needs to be lit in order to know that it is supposed to receive midi info. I am not sure about your keyboard either but make sure it is transmitting on the right channel....go into the keyboards midi menu and make sure it is set to "Global"...or Track 1 at least. Also I am not sure whether it is just that your I-mac knows that you have a keyboard plugged in or GB knows as well. You will also need to go into GBs preferences and select the proper midi device as well.....this should get you on your way. Good Luck!

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines
Macintop
Hi BlackNote,

You can download a little tool Midi Monitor from http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor what will show the incoming Midi. If you play your piano Mindi Monitor should show you the notes. if not you do not receive the midi data.

ps. Have you check the switch onthe back of your piano?
It should be set on Midi and NOT on Mac.

Succes

ironhead
FIrst of all the GB AUTOMATICALLY SEE YOUR MIDI DEVICE AND TELL YOU HOW MUCH MIDI DEVICE YOU GOT CONNECTED
TRY TO LOAD A GARAGE A BAND DEMO SONG AND PLAY IT TO MAKE SURE YOUR ARE GETTING AUDIO OUT OF GB.
THEN CLICK ON ONE OF THE CHANNEL(ON YOUR UPPER LEFT) WITH ANY SOFTWARE INSTRUMENT LOADED IN THE SONG
THEN CLICK ON THE TRANSPORT BAR AT THE LEFT OF THE LCD VIEW ON IN THE DROP DOWN LIST CHOOSE CHORD
MAKE SURE YOUR KEYBOARD MIDI CABLE IS CONNECTED PROPERLY BY CONNECTING MIDI OUT ON THE CABLE TO MIDI OUT ON THE BACK OF THE KEYBOARD YOU SHOULD NOW SEE ANY NOTE OR CHORD YOU PLAY SHOWING IN THE LCD SCREEN ON YOUR GB TRANSPORT BAR IF YOUR KEYBOARD IS SETUP PROPERLY AND ALSO HEARING SOUND EITHER FROM YOU IMAC SPEAKER OR YOUR AUDIO INTERFACE OR AUDIO CONNECTION
IF IT STILL DOES NOT WORK TRY SELECT THE WINDOW MENU IN GB AND IN THE DROP DOWN BOX CHOOSE MUSICAL TYPING( TURNS YOU COMPUTER KEYBOARD IN A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT)TRY PLAYING ON IT TO SEE IF YOU GET SOUND
ALSO YOU WILL NEED TO PRESS RECORD ON THE TRANSPORT BAR TO RECORD.
I HOPE THIS WAS A HELP
LET ME KNOW
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/IRONHEADMUSIC

[edit LPM, please guys, don't argue on the capitals, it's been done in PM and as our friend here tried to help we'll be nice]
hahaworld
In your Audio Preferences (Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sound), what do you have selected for your audio output?
BlackNote
Hello,

Thank you all for answering so fast. I've tried pretty much everything listed above, but I'm not getting much further. For some reason, GB only detects a MIDI device but is unable to connect to it when I choose inout/output audio in the preferences. System preferences aren't much help either since there is no indication of connected devices such as a keyboard. The only positive signal I'm getting is via the MIDI setup utility, indicating indeed a connected ESI MIDI Mate cable, and GB detecting the presence of a connected keyboard. Other than that, I can't find any way of getting this to work. I'm pretty sure I'm making a fundamental mistake, too evident to be seen here I guess.
(I did press "record" each time, but this didn't matter...)

Shouldn't I have to select my keyboard in GB under Audio menu in the preference pane? My MIDI Setup tuility only shows the ESI MIDI Mate. Shouldn't there be a keyboard as well?
I'm sorry, but I know myself pretty well around GB and playing the piano/composing, but when it comes to computers and connecting different components, I sometimes get lost.

Thank you so much for your help.
Jim Hoyland
You have to add the keyboard to your Midi set-up yourself. In the "Midi" drop-down menu, click on Add New External Device. You can double-click on the new icon to change settings, but initially just make the cable connections between the midi in / out of the keyboard and the relevant points on your midi interface. Once this is done go to Midi > Test Midi Set-up. The computer should announce "Midi Received" when you play the keys and clicking on the keyboard icon with the musical note cursor should trigger midi activity on your keyboard.

This should fix your problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.