Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Up Logic Pro : Ínternal Disks
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
zaaresh
Hi ,

we are about the restore and setup our G4 dual 1.25 Ghz , 1GB and put Logic Pro, Reason & Battery 3 as main music applications since the mac was quite a mess before.
I have two internal disks on my mac G4 . , 120GB IBM and 400GB SAMSUNG.

Can anyone help about :

where to install the system ,
where the progs
and the whole sample library in order to run the whole thing in the fastest and most save way?

also : when i record audio and create logic files, should they be on the program disk or elsewhere?

please help! thanks...

milosz
lepetitmartien
Hey smile.gif

System, apps all go on the same hard drive, preferably the 120GB.

The sample library, well, it's more difficult to say. If you plan low use of them, they can be on either, if they are to be used a lot, best would be dedicated hard drive. The Samsung will be fine for recording audio/files.

The main thing to remember is to always leave the mainstream operation (system, apps -you cannot move them really elsewhere anyway-, other files) on the system drive. Leave some GB free (I'd say twice at least your amount of RAM but it's a minimum, more free space is better for files to write and the swap files of the virtual memory to be happy). Now everything that are audio files (or the whole project to keep things tidy) are better on a separated drive (if you want to have more than a few tracks possible at one time). If you use extensively samples, it'd be better to keep them separated too on a another drive.
zaaresh
hi lepetitmartien ,

thanks for answering! laugh.gif

did i get it right ? when you say

- " everything that are audio files (or the whole project to keep things tidy) are better on a separated drive (if you want to have more than a few tracks possible at one time). If you use extensively samples, it'd be better to keep them separated too on a another drive."

does it mean we should use the system/progs on the 120GB , the audio files / projects on the 400GB (f.ex.) and the sample library on another more drive? in fact we use quite a lot samples from battery when programming beats.

- "Leave some GB free " = assigning RAM memory to Logic in this case? where can i do that?

- Is there an option in Logic to create "single files" as in ACID Pro , where everything concerning the project is copied in one folder - logic file, audio files, samples, etc. ? actually we run Logic 6.4.2.

thanks ...!
bonne soirée
milosz
lepetitmartien
QUOTE (zaaresh @ dim 23 sep 2007, 20:22) *
does it mean we should use the system/progs on the 120GB , the audio files / projects on the 400GB (f.ex.) and the sample library on another more drive? in fact we use quite a lot samples from battery when programming beats.
Yup. For the extra drive for samples, try first with the ones you have, ii there's a glitch, you know the solution… wink.gif
- "Leave some GB free " = assigning RAM memory to Logic in this case? where can i do that?
No, I was talking about leaving some gigs free on the hard drives, more than twice the amount of RAM you have, the more the merrier. I'm talking about the system drive. It is where the swap files of the virtual memory are by default.

You can't assign more RAM to logic, or to any software running on OS X, it's all the system that handles this. If you need more RAM, add some to the computer. With about 2 GB (or more) in your config you'll be happy till you want to get happier.
- Is there an option in Logic to create "single files" as in ACID Pro , where everything concerning the project is copied in one folder - logic file, audio files, samples, etc. ? actually we run Logic 6.4.2.
here it's a question for Logic aficionados, and as it's very different from the rest it'd be better to separate the thread. and keep things neat. btw, there's a manual with Logic, it's an important read!!! cool.gif
Jim Hoyland
here it's a question for Logic aficionados, and as it's very different from the rest it'd be better to separate the thread. and keep things neat. btw, there's a manual with Logic, it's an important read!!! cool.gif

The "Save as Project" option in the file menu does this. It allows the creation of a unified folder containing used and unused audio files, samples, ultrabeat samples, impulse responses, video files and even backup versions of arrangements. A dialogue box opens with all the options. I would recommend copying samples rather than moving them when doing this, as its too easy to destroy your original sample libraries otherwise.

Sorry for keeping this thread off topic LPM.
zaaresh
... i did the offtopic! huh.gif sorry

LPM and Jim: thank you , you helped a lot !

milosz
lepetitmartien
No arm done: juste the rule One Subject, One Thread, Everyone Happy! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.