Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mics For Acoustic Guitar
440 Forums > English > Guitars > Acoustic Guitars
Seth Peterson
Thought I'd get something going on this. I've been using condensers and dynamics and am thinking about using a ribbon for finger style Leo Playing. Ribbon Mics are changing and getting better and cheaper by the year so I thought I'd post this. What do you think?
deaconblue
A ribbon mic will give you a really good result for acoustic style finger picking. Picking up a lot more of the nuances of pick attack and string response. But, just to be sure, a ribbon mic is a fragile creature. Don't use it for large sound volumes like close mic'ing a guitar cabinet or even for close vocal work.

The Fat Head by Cascade is a good, inexpensive ribbon mic. I have used it for nylon string and steel string recording with good results through a Presonus tube mic pre.

Although a good pair of small diaphragm condenser mics, one at the sound hole and one at the 12th fret, give you a good option to a ribbon since you can track them separately and then blend the tones to get a full sound.

If you don't have a ribbon mic, it's always good to increase your arsenal of recording tools. Different mics add different textures and tonalities to your tracks.

best of luck!

peace
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.