Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking For An Interface
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Audio, MIDI, DSP Cards and Interfaces, Controllers > Other Controllers, Interfaces, DSP Cards
Angel L'Vaey
It shames me that my first topic here comes with a question, but it can't be helped.

Lately I've been doing some reconfiguration on certain rooms in the house, and I've
labeled one as my studio. I already have a Macbook Pro 15' and 2 keyboards, some
amps, microphones and even a vocal booth.

The only thing I am still missing is a good firewire/usb interface which I can use to
make more high-quality recordings of my work. I stumbled across the Motu 828 MK II,
but I can't really figure out what kind of recording hardware I really need. I have about
800 euros to spend.

I have a fundamental loathing for anything called digidesign or digitech, so I'm not buying
that.

Can anyone help me out with some information on good interfaces?

~Angel

[edit LPM, corrected the title, MOTU interface name]
lepetitmartien
Have you an idea on how many I/O you need, their type? preamps or not?

I'd vote MOTU over M-audio anytime, but there are other interfaces available from them than the 828 mk2…

RME and Presonus are worth a look too
gdoubleyou
I'm currently using the original MOTU 828 with my Powerbook, bought it used for $300.

Worked fine for several years so far.

If you don't need a lot of inputs take a lok at the Inspire from Presonus.

cool.gif
lepetitmartien
Some 828 have issues, most 828 mk2 can be cured when having the same by resetting. Some have no problem at all…
Mac-Dee
QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Wed 11 Oct 2006, 21:59) *
Some 828 have issues, most 828 mk2 can be cured when having the same by resetting. Some have no problem at all…

-

Giddy mate from australia

Well how many Ins and outs you need dude ?

I believe in getting seperate gear

Spend all ya money on the Mic preamps and get a seperate ad/da converter
I have had a Rme-audio hdsp9632 pci card for last 2 years but now i have the new macpro
so i am upgrading to a apogee symphony card + symphony exp car + rosetta 200 ad/da converter

The rosetta is a awesome converter and is the second best thing to protools , protools gear is great but its to expensive, but back to the point , Rosetta have a option where u can put a firewire card in the back of it, this makes it a audio/midi interface (midi only works on firewire) but i mean its still prety XXX
Then you have to buy a seperate preamp all that. compressor etc
Pci-e/ Pci cards are better at the moment but, firewire is catching up you never know in the future.

but if your just getting into all this.

firewire is good start Motu is good, a few others to check out
Rme-audio products , Metric Halo products , Presonus

The presonus Firebox is good i have a presonus control station and have been happy with the product

Check out the sounds of all of them go in there and get the guys to test shit out on it
with your mic,

I mean main thing is how many ins/outs i dont need to record a drum kit so i only went for 2 on my new interface.

pop me a email if you got questions
but to sum it up

spend money on mic preamps
then converters

If you want a all in one check out the brands above
oh one other thing I would do now i have owned products is email them and tell them you have a problem with that interface your looking at getting and see if they reply cause i mean customer service is a big one if your new interface breaks or has problems you want it fixed straight away

Good luck

Cheers
Dave
[EDIT LPM Dave, don't throw your email in clear in the forums, it's forbidden by the rules for a reason (spam bots), any member can be reached with the email link on his member card, without spam risk wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif ]
Angel L'Vaey
Thanks for all the feedback people.

I won't be needing a lot of I/O's, probably a maximum of 4 to 6 inputs at a time. I thought about
using the Motu 282 as a mixer for live gigs though, so the extra I/Os of the motu would be needed.

I thought the Motu already had some sort of Pre-amp build-in?

As far as pre-amps go, I'm buying a mackie mixer with build in pre-amps. Would this be enough,
or would you reccomend better / more pre-amps?

The interface will be used to:
- Record Vocals
- Record Synthesizers
- Possibly run the guitars through, even though I already have an M-Audio Blackbox
- Act as a mixer for live gigs (if I'd buy a Motu)

What Interface would be best to check out? I'm looking at the Presonus right now as well.

Regards,

Angel
Mac-Dee
The motu's are good they have the new pre interface....
I am looking at getting a apogee ensemble because of the core driver , the thing is u dont need one apogee is working wit apple to get it smooth from inside out.
will offer 24 192 right now its 24 96. the apogee preamps are suppose to be good haven't heard em yet
I like my greatriver preamp i spent heaps on it but it was worth the sound i get.
the pres on motu will diff do the job but depends how much u wanna spend i havn't heard the mackie ones

shit didn't read all u.

the interface will be used to:
- Record Vocals
- Record Synthesizers
- Possibly run the guitars through, even though I already have an M-Audio Blackbox

What Interface would be best to check out?
motu traveler, if for gigs
if its studio based then get a seperate micpre then hook it up save u takin ya xxx pre around
its really up to your budget to man

good luck i am still deciding myself on ensemble or digi 002r cause i get protools to ...

I would reccommend gettin a seperate preamp and then hooking it up to ya ad/da or to ya audio interface.
most audio interfaces have preamps build on so u have the adv of both.
QUOTE (Angel L'Vaey @ Thu 12 Oct 2006, 07:40) *
Thanks for all the feedback people.

I won't be needing a lot of I/O's, probably a maximum of 4 to 6 inputs at a time. I thought about
using the Motu 282 as a mixer for live gigs though, so the extra I/Os of the motu would be needed.

I thought the Motu already had some sort of Pre-amp build-in?

As far as pre-amps go, I'm buying a mackie mixer with build in pre-amps. Would this be enough,
or would you reccomend better / more pre-amps?

The interface will be used to:
- Record Vocals
- Record Synthesizers

What Interface would be best to check out? I'm looking at the Presonus right now as well.

Regards,

Angel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.