Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Imac 2ghz Core Duo Question
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
RobbieG
Hi there,

Is this new imac 2GHz core duo a decent system for recording? I currently have Pro Tools LE 6.1 with the MBox (1). I'm most likely going to upgrade to the FireBox or another firewire interface and with different software in the future. The digi 002 is quite expensive for a fire wire connection. I'm sure it's sweet, but the MOTO seems like a good product and it's cheaper. I don't like how Pro Tools locks you into their gear.

Basically any thoughts on the new imac 2 GHZ core duo are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
gdoubleyou
Should be fine with more RAM and an external firewire drive. Benchmarks that i have seen show the the core duo machines outperform dual G5s for most tasks.

cool.gif
stovall
I am assuming that the Core Duo is Intel. If so, Pro Tools 7.1 upgrade is required.
RobbieG
Thanks.

I thinking I'm going to move over to Cubase so I don't have to get a a digi 002 to have a firewire connection. I could get a firebox or something with more inputs if I use Cubase Seems like I'll have more options that way.

Appreciate the knowledge.

Rob
edge100
QUOTE (RobbieG @ Mon 14 Aug 2006, 12:35) *
Hi there,

Is this new imac 2GHz core duo a decent system for recording? I currently have Pro Tools LE 6.1 with the MBox (1). I'm most likely going to upgrade to the FireBox or another firewire interface and with different software in the future. The digi 002 is quite expensive for a fire wire connection. I'm sure it's sweet, but the MOTO seems like a good product and it's cheaper. I don't like how Pro Tools locks you into their gear.

Basically any thoughts on the new imac 2 GHZ core duo are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Well, I'm using one every day for audio production, and it keeps on blowing me away. I have the 2GB/250GB option on my 20", and I've never had CPU issues in either Logic 7.2 or Live 5.2 (which is my new DAW of choice).

Skip the 002. It is just "ok" sounding, and offers little to no flexibility in terms of DAW choice. Get yourself a Metric Halo 2882 or RME Fireface for less, and spend the extra $$$ on monitoring, acoustic treatment, or something like that, especially if you already own another DAW.
shotsi672
QUOTE (edge100 @ Wed 16 Aug 2006, 00:30) *
Well, I'm using one every day for audio production, and it keeps on blowing me away. I have the 2GB/250GB option on my 20", and I've never had CPU issues in either Logic 7.2 or Live 5.2 (which is my new DAW of choice).

Skip the 002. It is just "ok" sounding, and offers little to no flexibility in terms of DAW choice. Get yourself a Metric Halo 2882 or RME Fireface for less, and spend the extra $$$ on monitoring, acoustic treatment, or something like that, especially if you already own another DAW.

I agree. Forget about Digidesign gear since they will forget about you, DIGI001. The fact that you are tied into using ONLY their gear is bad business. And they still don't get it!

Have a look at the MOTU Ultralite. I have one with an Intel iMac 2.0ghz running Logic Express and Live 5.2. It's very good and unlike my experience with Digidesign drivers i have not had one ounce of trouble.
Highly recommended.
gdoubleyou
QUOTE (stovall @ Mon 14 Aug 2006, 17:50) *
I am assuming that the Core Duo is Intel. If so, Pro Tools 7.1 upgrade is required.

Cubase SX doesn't currently come in a MacIntel version, your only option to run it is to install XP.

Also it's premature the current mac version is worst performer of all the mac DAWs, from my experience you can get 40%-60% more instances of virtual instruments and effects using Logic, Digital Performer, Live or Tacktion.

Unless you have a G5 class machine, G4s won't do.
rickenbacker
The Metric Halo ULN-2 (+DSP if you can afford it) is one of the best audio interfaces on the market. Not cheap, but unbelieveably great sound. Your interface search will be over.
edge100
QUOTE (rickenbacker @ Wed 16 Aug 2006, 21:18) *
The Metric Halo ULN-2 (+DSP if you can afford it) is one of the best audio interfaces on the market. Not cheap, but unbelieveably great sound. Your interface search will be over.

The MH 2882 has the same converters, and is equally well-respected as its smaller cousin the ULN-2. HOWEVER, the ULN-2 pres are much better than the 2882's, though the 2882 still has (by all accounts) superior pres to something like the MOTU 828 or Traveller.

MH makes top-flight gear!
RobbieG
well the Metric Halo is definitely out of my price range.

I'm going to look into the MOTU Ultralite and Logic Express.

What's the difference between Logic and Logic Express?
RobbieG
Alright so I just ordered my iMac, 20-inch, 2GHz Intel Core Duo with Logic Express installed.

I'm leaning towards the MOTU ultrilite as my interface because I've read good things and it was recommended. I also like the number of inputs which will serve my needs just fine since I'll be tracking each instrument. I'm also looking at M-AUDIO Firewire 1814, but not sure if I need all the inputs. Any thoughts on these two or any other interfaces that I should check out.

appreciate it.

Rob
RobbieG
I also don't really need the portablity of the ultralite at this point. Any thoughts?
edge100
QUOTE (RobbieG @ Tue 22 Aug 2006, 11:56) *
I also don't really need the portablity of the ultralite at this point. Any thoughts?

Honestly, at this price point, your biggest concern should be driver stability. All of the mid-price interfaces have about the same quality converters and pres. MOTU is great for stability, so that'd be my choice.
minskybabs
Yes, the MOTU stuff has a very good rep, you almost never hear about problems with their drivers etc. I got a second hand 828 mark 1 for a song, and it works great with logic. Have heard and read of problems with m-audio, also with cubase on the Mac. Logic and motu seem to have far fewer problems reported.
Cheers Minskybabs.
Megahertz
QUOTE (RobbieG @ Sun 20 Aug 2006, 12:58) *
What's the difference between Logic and Logic Express?

A comparison can be found here...

Logic vs. Logic Express
RobbieG
I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to go with the MOTU Ultralite.

thanks again and I will post an update once I get things set up in the event others are considering the same configuration.
Mac Daddy
Ditto on the "Stability"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.