Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cpu Maxed Out?
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Live
Soyogen
Hi guys. I just recently purchased a new macbook pro 2.0 ghz and I was shocked it's lack of performance with Live.

With just attempting to play a an instrument in "Operator" with the qwerty keyboard, the cpu jumps to +80%

I have no idea why this is. It's unusable. I have a 1.6 ghz windows laptop and Live works fine. The processor maxes out when I am running 7 or 8 midi tracks and streaming several waves from my hard drive, but that's reasonable. The Mac cracking up while playing one midi track is not.

I purchased the Mac hoping that it would show an improvement over the windows machine. Unfortunately, it's unbearably worse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
lancet
We'll , I'm no expert, but make sure it's the "Universal " build of Live. (5.2??) I hear v6 is better now.

also make certain that processor performance is set to "highest" in the Energy saver system preference.
jay
QUOTE (Soyogen @ Thu 27 Jul 2006, 21:57) *
Hi guys. I just recently purchased a new macbook pro 2.0 ghz and I was shocked it's lack of performance with Live.

With just attempting to play a an instrument in "Operator" with the qwerty keyboard, the cpu jumps to +80%

I have no idea why this is. It's unusable. I have a 1.6 ghz windows laptop and Live works fine. The processor maxes out when I am running 7 or 8 midi tracks and streaming several waves from my hard drive, but that's reasonable. The Mac cracking up while playing one midi track is not.

I purchased the Mac hoping that it would show an improvement over the windows machine. Unfortunately, it's unbearably worse.

Thanks

Since the new laptop G4 mac´s come with Pentium processors - (no motorola) there´s really no big difference between the machines anymore, just make shure you have enough RAM.
rickenbacker
The main development focus for Live 6 is mostly about dual processor support, so that should be a leap ahead for performance if you get that when it's released in a couple of month's time.

If you don't have the Universal update, as the previous poster wrote, get that. Operator patches can also be very demanding, with FX and the like in the chain. I don't know why you'd be getting one track at 80%, though - my PowerBook (note: PowerBook) can run a bunch of Operators before cracking up. What latency do you have set? Raise it until nothing stutters - 512, 1024, etc.
mortalengines
Yes, make sure that you have the MOST up to date version of live. I know that when I first installed 5.0 on my G4 I was NOT impressed but 5.2 seems to run pretty ok.
len303
youl need 5.2 as thats coded for itel macs , also live 6 brings multicpu & multi core support,
out in sept this year ,

i find live 4 run faster than live 5.2 at this time even on my 2.5 quad g5 ...
try it the gui runns smother , & about 50% more plugins work better .
regards

cdbaby.com/kenspocket

QUOTE (Soyogen @ Thu 27 Jul 2006, 20:57) *

Thanks
mechcon
also 6 is out as y'all know tongue.gif and if it does still chew up cpu (i.e. when adding vst's) just freeze the track if you can, IF you can
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.