Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motu 828 Highpitchsound/driver Not Found
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Audio, MIDI, DSP Cards and Interfaces, Controllers > MOTU
redember
Hi i noticed there was a similar problem brought up in the past... but i'm hoping there maybe some updates....
i run logic 6.4.3 on G5 macosx 10.3.4 with a motu 828 (not mkII) with the latest driver dowloaded from their site.

all of a sudden one nite i got "core audio selected driver not found (-10202)" - ive reinstalled logic+the 6.4.3 update+the motu driver nothing worked. the next morning everything is as it has been for years but after few hours this highpitched sound cuts in from the motu hardware and the driver is 'not found' again and core audio is not functioning.
this has happened a few days running now. just now it appears that if i powerdown everything for longer than, say, 20 minutes its all working again until a few hours after that the highpitch sound thing again.

(this maybe just a coincendence-- but it first happened shortly after a NI guitar rig2 demo version ran out (with no warning-just loaded up a song and "guitar rig2 not found" came up - i tried to re-load the demo version which was probably dumb - but i didn't expect major repercussions from doing that) could this have caused a bug? i have since ordered the real version in the hope it might fix things.
i'm now thinking the motu828 has got some kind of erratic problem and needs to be replaced?

hope someone can help, i am totally freakin out as i have just stared a business doing advertising music and the deadline's are sooo tite!
regards,
Ewan
lepetitmartien
Try as on this thread

I'd zap the PRAM as explained here (keep the keys as to hear the start up sound at least 3 times) and make a motherboard reset too in case (we'll see that later).

Read this too

First thing should be still to start from the install DVD of OS X and run the disk utility to see if everything is fine in both the drive and permissions. Then run OnyX to clear caches, temps files from the system (in cleaning, the lowest 2 "rows" of checkboxes on 4 save the Mail stuff, not necessary).
redember
Hi, thanks for your reply!

it seems for the moment that doing the disk utility thing and clearing cache and temp files via onyx, then reinstalling the motu driver after that, did the job. so thanks v much much for that info!

By the way... zapping the PRAM and resetting the motherboard sounds quite severe... does that disturb any/many programs,files or settings i.e. logic and related registered plug-ins etc. etc?

cheers,
ewan :-)
m0no
Hi all, pitched sound out of the motu is a known problem. Can be fixed by moving the red voltage swith on the side of the motu a couple of times. Please unplug the mutu first. And restting the motu. And makin sure you have the latest drivers. hope this helpes.
redember
hi thanks, but i'm afraid this didn't have any effect. and i have the latest installer. the problem keeps coming back now, randomly everytime i try to use it.
some more things that are happening:

"An OSErr error has occured.0- File I_FWAduio.cpp" error message has happened a few times.

also when i turn on the unit. sometimes the SPDIF IN light is blinking rapidly and the DIGITAL OUT light is on constantly - even those neither connection is used or connected

motu doesn't seem to be answering its emails which sux too. ive called in a technician andf will post any developments, seeing as others are having similar problems.
thanks
ewan
m0no
ok did you reset the motu?
redember
i'm not sure what resetting the motu entails, if indeed the original 828 has that function?

i've since been able to get the unit working on my laptop, with no problems, so i 'think' i've ruled out hardware failure... which is one step closer

but my desktop G5 will run fine for 20-30 minutes now and then the motu will cut into the hihg pitch sound and motu ceases to be recognised, almost like clockwork. and then it wont work again at all for that day.
there' must be some malfunctioning antipiracy demo file or something fooling with the system (an uninformed guess)
i've run diskutility, onyx etc but it's obviously not finding the file/program in question, i fear wiping the entire hard disk or something will be the eventual outcome....

got any tips on folders that i can check for timed-out demo files and related documents??
i've searched the harddrive for any files with "guitar rig V1"(the presumed offender) in it but i'm sure there are others related to the demo but not obviously named.

i have someone coming over on wed, to have a look.

thanks for the reply!
ewan
lepetitmartien
The first link I gave has in it the reset recipe, it's simple and is safe.

As is safe zapping the PRAM. Resetting the motherboard is safe as long as you make things calmly and do exactly as said (on the static electricity removal in peculiar).

The folders you should check for you bad demo hypothesis are:

~/Libraries/Audio/
~/Users/yourusername/Libraries/Audio/

Check also in the system preferences in the Accounts what's checked on start up.
redember
sorry, with the motherboard resetting, i cant find any any link? can you post it?
i have already reset the PRAM, with no effect. altho when i load up logic sometimes it says the date is set a week earlier.
cheers,
ewan
lepetitmartien
I HATE when Safari eats my answers… I HATE that… angry.gif laugh.gif

The Official Apple document on PRAM and NVRAM and their reset

The Official document on resetting the SMU on G5

Note, the procedure is not the same on macs before the G5 or laptops (you reset then the PMU (laptops) or the CUDA (pre-G5))
redember
i've reset the SMU and i did a repair permissions from the OSX boot disk and it worked today for about 5 hours and then the motu has just cut out again!
this:
system/library/Filesystems/cd99660.fs/cd9660.util. New Permissions are 33261
seems to be be the only thing that is repaired when i'm doing the permissions repair now.
is there any clue in this file to the problem?

just now i removed the mou driver ,cleaned with onyx,repaired permissions via the OSXdisk, re-installed the motu driver, reinstalled the logic update, then repaired disk permissions again,, and everything was ok for 5 min then cuts out again....
redember
coincedently, this was, what i presume to be the final reply from motu:

Hello,

This is most likely a specific hardware issue. Purchasing a new unit would resolve the issue and get you back up and running.

Regards,
MOTU Tech Support
lepetitmartien
Permissions: the file is ok, when it says "New Permissions are" etc it's only the mods decided by Apple. Not something wrong in the file itself.

When we ask to repair permissions, it's to rule out issues with file ownership which may occurs when something is installed.

MOTU support: mhmm very helpful… sad.gif

Have you reset the MOTU itself?

Save the graphic card, have you something in the PCI slots? What are the peripherals in USB ?
redember
the motu828 doesn't have a reset function that i am aware of?

and there's nothing in the PCI slots, a firewire HD on the other port. usb stuff aided with a hub- LogicDongle,mouse,kboard,ipod dock,MIDI converters:EmagicMT4 and RolandUM2 (midi runs fine)

my laptop is now showing similar reaction as the deskttop does now, pointing another finger at the hardware maybe?

i phoned a guy in a local shop that's a motu reseller, and he also reckons a new unit will do the trick, i might see if i can 'borrow' one wink.gif
lepetitmartien
As I linked to in my first answer… and hinted to do since…

to reset the 828:
- Unplug the firewire
- press the button "setup", turn full right until "factory default"
- push select
- confirm with "value"
- plug back firewire

Have you tried with just keyboard, mouse and 828 ? You should. It'll rule out the other peripherals.
cornutt
Have you noticed if the clock setting on the 828 changes when it does this? Mine does that occasionally, although it doesn't squeal; it just quits working. When I look at the pane and see that the 48 light is on instead of the 44.1 light, I just use Clockworks to command it back to 44.1, and that usually gets it going again.

Other than that, I suspect it's something that is thermal inside the 828 (that's why it works for a while).
redember
hhm. there is no button on my 828 that says setup (there are no 'buttons' at all) - maybe this is a really old one. sorry, just doesn't sound like the one you're referring to...

tried it with no prephirals and on the laptop the same, with no glory

the light does flick from 48-44.1 and thats immediatley how i know if its gonna play or not. - sorry i'm not sure what clockworks is, but i'd like to try that.

i have an 828mrk2 now on loan from the music shop and it works perfectly (for three days now) SO - i think i may have an easy way (not cheap!) out of this problem.

that does appear to suggest the hardware was at fault i guess? blink.gif
lepetitmartien
Yep, could be… it's a rather common issue with the 828 family… but on some, some tweaking helps, on others MOTU repairs help, and last, desperate cases. There must have been a bunch of faulty one out… Or it uses a chip that goes SHHHHHHHH in some conditions. sad.gif Which is bad as MOTU may be uncommunicative sometimes, slow as hell for repairs, etc. But their hardware is good hardware. rolleyes.gif

I'd ask on unicornation or to MOTU the reset procedure for a 828 without reset button.

The procedure I gave comes from MOTU and is for the mkII see here Unfortunately the 828 is no more supported in their tech notes… Maybe a mail to them… wink.gif (a polite one)
cornutt
Aha! When the clock setting changes spontaneously on the 828, CoreAudio doesn't know about it, and nothing works right after that. I misspoke on the name of the MOTU utility software; it's not Clockworks but rather the MOTU FireWire Console. It will let you change the clock setting back to what it's supposed to be. To download it, you need to go to motu.com, select "Downloads" from the home page, and then sign up for a download account (no cost). Then, you can go to the OSX category, select FireWire Software, and download the universal audio install package.

Martien, FYI: the original 828, unlike the 828MkII, doesn't have any front panel controls other than the input level knobs. To set it up, you have to use the FireWire Console app. There is a procedure for resetting an original 828; it's documented in the support area on the MOTU Web site. It involves opening the case. I've never done it myself.
lepetitmartien
I've tried to find it there to no avail angry.gif

If the reset is only opening and press a switch (with some caution on statics) you can do it, save if you're the kind dangerous when near a screwdriver. But try the software route first. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.