Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking For Just The Right Setup For What I Need
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
ericbalaban
I'm looking for the right software and a/d converter, and hoping someone could share some advice and experience as I'm a new Mac convert.

I do my tracking onto a 1/2" 8-track reel-to-reel. I need to be able to dump these tracks into my 1Ghz G4 Powerbook for editing and mixing, so I need to have 8 simultaneous inputs.

I have been using (on generous loan) AudioDesk and the MOTU 828mkII and they have been awesome. Almost perfect. The major problem is that I need to have the 828mkII plugged into my computer to run AudioDesk. This sucks. I have to do a lot mixing/editing at strange times and places and I can't carry a rack unit and cables with me everywhere just to run a program. I've also just learned that ProTools is similar and, worse, will only recognize they're own hardware for input.

Can anyone suggest the right combination of software and hardware? I need to be able to plug my laptop in and load in 8 simultaneous tracks, and then UNPLUG the A/D converter and edit in my laptop. I'd like software comparable to AudioDesk for editing (in quality, use, and features) that will run on OSX and will be compatible with whatever hardware A/D converter I get. Needless to say, I don't want to have to sell a kidney for it all either.

Any help?

Eric
gdoubleyou
If you are comfortable with audiodesk, upgrade to DP4.6. Same interface as audiodesk with midi features added and more effects plugins.
It also works with the built-in audio.

I've been using the original version of the 828 with my Powerbook with no problem. If you get an 828mkII or the Traveler, it will come bundled with Audiodesk.

cool.gif
ericbalaban
Great! Thanks for the lead. i've been going crazy over the net looking for answers, but no one ever seems to mention whether or not they're software will function when NOT attached to external hardware (like cool edit pro).

Eric
brendan
DP will work with native hardware, and Logic will, too.

I agree--it's surprising how good Audiodesk is, considering that it's a bundled program that very few people use...everybody seems to need to upgrade to something else.
ericbalaban
gdoubleyou -- can you still use your editing software if you unplug your 828 from you computer? I need to edit away from my practice space and hardware.

Eric
brendan
I have edited an entire album on DP with just the headphone jack of my 1999 powerbook. You don't need the interface. (Eventually I got really sick of the sound quality from the headphone jack, but it gets the job done.)
I'm surprised that Audiodesk won't work without the interface--is that really true? If so, that blows.
ericbalaban
Yep -- it's true. I tried everything I could think of, then confirmed it on their website. Damn right it blows. Must pay for the upgrade to DP...some "free" software.

i'm finding, though, that most people are using the computer for music that's created digitally (with software and MIDI etc) and so the issue of unplugging the computer from the equipment never comes up. It all stays together because the music is made silently (on headphones) and can be done anywhere, anytime. It's all done at home probably, so who would need to edit anywhere else? Many of the people who use computers to make music that I have asked about this took a few minutes to understand what I was asking. I record live (guitars, amps, drums, the works) at my practice space onto the 1/2" 8-track and love the way it sounds, especially for drums. The problem is, any method I've tried for mixing down has lost so much quality. The source has always had so much more punch, no matter what I've done for mixing. Loading i straight from the 8-track into the computer is awesome. I just don't have the time to sit around my space for hours doing all the editing and mixing and mastering.

It looks like the 828 with DP is what I sould get -- unless you have any other ideas. I've only been looking into this for a week (which is when I finally got a powerbook) so I'm only just becoming familiar. I need the 8 tracks in, and to be able to disconnect for editing. As for software: a friend mentioned Cubase, but that seems to be heavy on the MIDI and geared for digital music creation. I don't need that. And I've been told Garageband is a toy. The loan of the 828 has ended, so I have nothing now, except a bunch of audiodesk projects that I can't do anything with!!

Thanks for all your replies!

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.